NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Mount Alignment Confusion - HEQ5 Synscan

I've just taken delivery of my first scope; Skywatcher Explorer 150pds and HEQ5, I'm managed to setup the mount as per the instructions (which seem a bit rubbish btw). I'm now thinking about collimation and alignment, with regards to alignment I'm getting a bit confused!

The way I understood it;

I level and balance my scope & mount (in the garden) and point the 'N' marked on my mount in the direction of North from a compass. Then power up my Synscan and select the alignment process - enter my longitude/latitude and date/time. Next I select 2 or 3 star alignment and the mount automatically goes through the alignment procedure then I'm all set.

However, watching some youtube videos and reading numerous articles I am getting confused - Do I also need to use a polar scope along with synscan? Does the Heq5 even come with a polar scope? (I didn’t see another scope in the box)

I'm away from my kit at the moment so I can't get hands on, but hope to later tonight.

cheers

Have a search on YouTube for the Astronomy Shed videos, he goes through the complete setup procedure from collimation to polar aligment.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Archived