Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

At last! A promising forecast!

Andymarrison

The folks at 7timer! had it spot on! It's beautifully clear here tonight, for the first time in weeks! Scope's cooled; dew heater's turned up (boy is it cold!); observing list's at the ready - just a question of how long my fingers and toes hold out...I'm guessing Galloway's even colder, though - good luck Jonathan! :eek:

Just come in after about two and a half hours - my dew controller has just packed up, and my feet are freezing! It's about -5 degrees, but the skies are beautifully clear. Spent most of the session on the open clusters M3,36,37 and 38 in Auriga and Gemini, and then wrapped-up with M42 (it wouldn't be right to end a winter session without a look at M42!) and, finally, Jupiter. The view of Jupiter was the best I've had to date, with the GRS clearly visible through the 8.5mm Pentax XF together with some lovely whirls and eddies in the South equatorial band. Warming up indoors now, and hoping that the dew controller will recover when it too has warmed up and dried out.

Archived