Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Celestron or Meade Eyepiece

I am thinking of a new eyepiece 15-20mm I have looked at the Celestron X-Cel LX 18mm and the Meade 4000 series 15mm, I want one with long eye relief but not sure which is best, I have up to £80 to spend and would like some advice please on these.

Thanks

The Celestron's, the Meades are advertised as 4000's plossl's or super plossl's.

There is such a price difference that I will ask do you mean the Meade 4000 series not the 5000 series?

Has been said they are the same X-Cel's = 5000's. Curious why Meade describe them as plossl's then say they can have 6 elements.

For a little extra you could get 2 of the BST's, just a thought as they have a good reputation and are close or equal to the Celestrons.

I also need Long ER and from what I have read whilst deciding what to get over a while on here most will say the Excel - LX. That said they do seem to have some quality control issues so make sure you buy from a reputable place that will readily exchange if you get a poor one.

I had discounted the BST's myself as their eye relief is quoted as only c. 12mm, which I had read wasn't enough for those of us with glasses. BUT a bit of research and questioning on here seems to indicate that this is the same as the SW supplied 10mm, which I can use fine. Maybe worth a call to Alan at Sky's the Limit to see what would happen if you ordered one but found the ER too small, as being cheaper on a par with the LX as Capricorn indicates.

The Celestron's, the Meades are advertised as 4000's plossl's or super plossl's.

There is such a price difference that I will ask do you mean the Meade 4000 series not the 5000 series?

Has been said they are the same X-Cel's = 5000's. Curious why Meade describe them as plossl's then say they can have 6 elements.

For a little extra you could get 2 of the BST's, just a thought as they have a good reputation and are close or equal to the Celestrons.

I think it's X-cel LX = HD-60, not S5000 super plossl which is a Chinese copy of Masuyama (sold as early S4k Superplossl/Celestron Ultima/Baader Eudiascopic).

Archived