Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

DIY counter weights

Patrice Lanteigne

We were discussing counter weights on another forum. To mitigate the high purchase price and shipping costs of these heavy items I have been making my own as needed. I use regular inexpensive and locally available barbell weights. I fill the centre hole with a wood dowel epoxied in place and then drilled to the proper diameter for the counter weight bar. I install them between two regular weights when possible or otherwise hold them in place by way of a DIY wooden washer with a little bolt threaded through a drilled hole in the washer itself.

Barbellweights_zpsf356f804.jpg

what do you use to cut the large dia wooden circles?
If you have no woodworking facilities (or skills :laugh: ) you could buy some Polymorph¹ heat it until it's malleable (about 60°, hot water does the trick) and stuff it into the centre of the weights. Then when it's cooled / hardened, you can drill out the centre to the right diameter.

If you save the swarf Polymorph, you can melt it down and recycle it for the next weight.

[1] A thermo-plastic sold in granules. About £10 for 250gm. Cools to a hard "nylon" sort of feel.

Archived