Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

200mm scopes

More than likely, ask the seller if it's got a parabolic mirror (shaped like a bowl) or a flat mirror. If it's not parabolic then it's over priced and won't be that God.

I would recommend this

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/dobsonians/skywatcher-skyliner-150p-dobsonian.html

I have the 200mm version and it's an excellent scope for the money.

Paul

Sent from my Nexus 4

Notice that the main advert say 8" (203mm), the item specifics bit say 150mm.

The mount at the top of the advert (black) is different tothe later one (white), the white one looking more substantial.

If 203 dia and 750 FL then F/3.75 then is going to need eyepieces costing more then the scope to be any use.

The box image when expanded almost looks as if it says 203mm/1200mm - difficult to be sure.

If the seller has measured the OTA length and come up with ~750mm then this would mean something like the Bird-Jones design where the extra focal length is taken care of by something resembling a barlow at the focuser. Principle is good but the components used in mass production usually means really bad quality. Throw in that many use spherical mirrors and whats starts bad gets worse.

Too risky, anyone who sells a scope with a sun filter must be avoided, stick to proven makes of telescopes like Sky Watcher for example. The one in the advert looks shoddy and also there is the question of whether it is a 150mm or 200mm, the seller does not give the focal ratio, but based on the length and the aperture stated it looks very fast at f/3.75, almost impossible to use visually or get suitable eyepieces for. Steer away in my opinion.

also looked through their feedback and seen that someone had bought one off them so i asked them what it was like and got this back off them

Hi, the scope assembled fine although needed a couple of the adjusters tightening but if you are technically minded at all this is not a problem. As for the optics I have not been able to see anything yet due to the weather. That said I have set it up and aligned it during the day and buildings etc appeared sharp and focused from a good few hundred metres.

Like the previous responses, I would give this a miss. There are too many question marks over what it actually is you get for your money, and far too many unknowns about the brand.

If the initial specs are correct, this is a *very* fast scope which will not cope without some *very* good eyepieces.

Unless you can get some hands on with it beforehand, or know a trusted someone with experience of the scope and mount, I would err on the side of caution and give this a miss.

Archived