Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Grinning like a cheshire cat!

cakingcrazy

Just had my first stargazing session with my xmas pressie bargain scope. It was hosted by Sunderland Astro Soc whos members were very welcoming, helpful and knowledgable. There were some interesting talks too, before proceeding outside to set up my new toy. At first I felt a bit inadequate next to all the super massive equipment others had.

This soon changed however, when the skies were kind and the stars came out to play. I had an excellent view of Jupiter and 4 moons, the nebula in Orion and the seven sisters. And even when I looked through other peoples super-duper scopes, they really couldn't see any better than I could.

I am really pleased with my telescope, thrilled to have seen some amazing things and glad to have met some really lovely, like minded people. I think I may be hooked!

Sounds like you had a great time!

Most people at astronomy societies are really friendly and are willing to give advice.

We all share a common interest in the skies and are generally on the same level with very little snobbery!

Glad it went well for you! :smiley:

Will you be going again?

Oh yes. So much to learn, and such a friendly crowd. Apparently they regularly observe at a location very close to my home, so I won't even have to go very far for that. Which is unusual for me, being a bumpkin usually means a hefty trek to get anywhere. Bonus!

My next goal is to see saturn and the rings. It feels like an itch I desperately need to scratch!

Yes, me too!

But we'll have to wait until spring to see it at a good altitude at a good time!

It's my favourite planet, as you can tell from my username! :grin:

Congrats on your scope and your star party! What sort of scope did you get?

Hi Michael, it's a TA1100-120 from Jessops. 32160_575482339132296_1797148166_n.jpgHubby just got home on leave (Navy) and got it for me as a belated christmas present. He got very lucky with Jessops going bust, as did I or I wouldn't have had as nice a scope for his meagre budget. It performed fantastically well right out of the box, crytal clear optics and very easy to use.

Archived