Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Convert lx50

frodri

Hi all. This is my first post, so please be gentle...

I have a Meade lx50 10" on a wedge mount (original Meade with Magellan system). I want to convert this into a goto. The scope will be installed in a permanent housing, and hopefully (and eventually) operated remotely.

I want to do imaging, so I think equatorial mount would be the best (to avoid any noise arising from the drive)...

Any recommendations or pointers? My thinking is de-fork the scope, convert to dovetail and mount it in a new mount. Would an eq6 be a good choice? I find myself a boot lost in the sea of options...

Thanks for any suggestions... I am not a banker, but a couple of Ks should be available to begin...

The NEQ6 is a fantastic mount for the money which is less than a grand, the only week point is the alt bolts which are pants but if you are having the scope in a permanent housing like mine then this isn't a problem anyway. It will also handle the 10" no probs.

I'd say bite the bullit... If you want to go remote it is either 10Micron (GM1000HPS or GM2000HPS), ASA or Paramount. NEQ6 is going to give you tons of qorries remotely. If you don't want to go remote, NEQ6 is your safest bet for the least amount of money.

/per

Thanks very much for your replies... It seems that the 10Micron/ASA mount is too expensive, so will probably go with NEQ6. I will need to set this up in sunny Mexico, so need to somehow ship the mount!

:-)

Mexico? Crumbs, that will be remote. :smile:

It may be worth double checking the expected total weight of the payload. IRIC 10" Meade OTAs are heavy and, adding all the other bits and bobs that are associated with imaging, it might tax the NEQ6.

The quoted capacity for an NEQ6 is 25kg (though I've also seen 20kg) but for imaging it is usually advised to be substantially below that.

Archived