Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Complete newbie - help please!

Hi, I enjoy seeing all the posts and photos on here, and have been interested in getting started myself. I was given a telescope for xmas, but having been away I am only just setting up. I am looking for constructive advice please, rather than people slagging/slating my xmas gift. I am very pleased and grateful that someone thought enough of me to get me a gift they really thought I would like, so please no snidey 'you should have bought......' or 'it's rubbish.....' type comments please!

I am as new as it gets to stargazing, so have a just out of the box telescope. It is, a Jessops TA100-102 reflector telescope. I managed to build it last night despite the extremely vague instructions. There are however absolutely no user instructions. whatsoever.

Although new, I am not naive enough to think that you just look through it and,voila! I am so new, that I dont know whether both lens cap things have to be removed for use (obviously the one pointing skywards end comes off, but does the groundwards end too?). I also do not know how to put the eyepieces in. There is a Barlow lens thing, which I wont use yet. I have gathered from googling, that to start with I should stick to the biggest number eyepiece. But when I do, does the Barlow thing go in first and then the eyepiece, or vice versa? And there is a moon filter. Where the heck does that go and how? Thanks in advance for any kind and helpful constructive advice!

Ive give you a post to a you tube set up not sure about back plate dont use barlow yet yes use highest number eyepiece first, moon filter should screw onto eyepiece but dont use that either. use the highest number eyepiece first then a lower number to gain more magnification, if you only have one eyepiece then you will have to first use eyepiece to find object you want look at i.e moon then take that out insert barlow and eyepiece in that and refocus.

Is it this one? http://www.jessops.com/online.store/categories/products/jessops/astronomical-telescope-1100-102-76685/show.html.

I'm no expert but I haven't heard of a scope having a bottom end cap before. When you remove it does it literally open the bottom end of the telescope (behind the primary mirror) to the elements? I'd imagine you should leave this cap on...

I agree, I wouldn't suggest using the barlow yet. Get used to using the scope first. If I were you I'd make my first target the moon in a few days when it starts to come back (you never know, the clouds might have gone by then!). When you do come to use it, however, the barlow goes in the focuser first and then the eyepiece you're wanting to magnify goes inside the barlow.

The moon filter usually screws onto the opposite end of the eyepiece you're using. You only realy need to worry about using it when the moon gets really bright, around when it's more than half full, I'd say. To be honest, I've always found them disappointing and that they wash out a lot of the moon detail and make it look yellow. I have only used a cheap one, though.

Hi & welcome to SGL. I sincerely hope that no one will slag off your telescope, if they do, then they need a ticking off :smiley:

It was of course kind of someone to give you a Christmas pressie.

Your telescope will show you some nice things. I'd start off with Jupiter, nicely placed at the mo, it's the very bright object in the east at sundown, climbing to high in the south as the evening progresses.

You will need to remove the large dust cover at the open (upper) end of the tube, the other (lower) end is where the main mirror is and should be left as it is. Remove the dust cover on the focuser (the part with the two small wheels on it) and insert the eyepiece with the lowest number, probably between 20 & 25mm. This eyepiece gives the lowest power and the widest view.

I'd leave the barlow for now. If you do try it, it fits into the focuser and the eyepiece fits into the barlow.

First job is to line up the finder. That will either be a small telescope somewhere near the focuser, or a 'red dot finder' aiming device. Get the scope outside during the day and point the scope as best you can by looking into the eyepiece to find a recognisable object (TV aerial, chimney etc) Now adjust the finder to see the same object in that. Fit a higher power eyepiece (lower number on it) and fine tune the finder adjustment.

You are now good to go and observe Jupiter when we get a clear evening.

HTH, Ed.

Edit - good Youtube video in post #2 (shame about the music :grin: )

Hi, thank you both for responding. I did see the youtube vid on setting it up, but only after I'd struggled to do it by the er.... instructions! So I am going to leave the bottom end cap on. I am shortly going to go outside and freak out the neighbours with it, as I peer through in order to try to align the red dot spotter bit with the actual telescope. I think I have figured out the Barlow thing, it would appear that there is only one possible way it can go together with the eyepieces.

It's a scope and will show you more then you eye will, and we all start somewhere, actually it sounds a fair bit bigger then anything I use.

Concerning the instructions, read this forum for a while.

The philosophy of "Instructions? Why would I want to read the instructions ?" is pretty consistant here.

Don't know your scope and there will be others that have advice, best I would say is find a couple of good pictures and set yours up the same.

Aligning RDF's that should be good for a scream. Aim scope at something fairly distant - least a mile and adjust the finder to the same distant thing. Then check the scope and readjust again. Hope you get on with an RDF. Take your time and be patient.

Ignote the barlow for now, use the longest eyepiece first, it should give the widest views adn be the easiest to work with at first.

Search for an astro club if you want, often useful information at them, additionally they may well have an observing evening and a place to go and observe at.

When it all goes wrong have a coffee, then come back here and ask questions.

Thank you all very much. I am going to pop along to a Sunderland Astro Club event at the Washington Widlfowl Centre this evening. Hopefully, someone there will take pity on me and will spoon feed me with the most basic of information. We all have to start somewhere though!

Hi! I hope it went well at the Astro Club. I'm sure their advice was great. Your scope sounds greatv - I wouldn't worry about that.

I would think that collimation may be important to you with your reflector - I don't know if any other users would agree. This is the process of making sure that all your optics (mirrors and eyepiece in your case) are lined up perfectly. If the collimation is a long way out then you will find your scope will provide you with blurred views of objects. There are laser collimator eyepieces available but there are other ways of doing this without any expense but I'm afraid I couldn't give you fantastic instruction on this but I'm sure someone else on this thread would .............?

32160_575482339132296_1797148166_n.jpgMy new telescope, all set up and ready to go. I even managed to align the red dot finder first go - yay! So far I have had an awesome view of the weather [removed word] on top of the church spire, and some blackbirds on a chimney stack. Bring on the dark and a break in the clouds and Jupiter and her moons will be mine. Excited!

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Don't be worried about anyone slagging off you or your equipment, it doesn't happen on here, the friendliest place in cyber space where all the members do their very best to help and encourage others to enjoy their hobby.

As no one else has mentioned Stellarium I'll give this free planatarium program a plug. A really good way to help you find your way around, get it here:- http://www.stellarium.org/

When you come to find objects with your red dot finder you need to keep both eyes open not squint with one eye closed. You then move your scope so that the red dot covers what you see in your open eye. It took me and others ages to have this pointed out and without doing this it is really hard to line up you target.

Good luck and when you have more questions you know where to come for help.

Thanks Whitedwarf. I have already had Stellarium running on my laptop for over a year. I did do the squinting through one eye thing to set my red dot. It seemed to be bang smack in the middle too, I thought I had done so well! Perhaps I'll go back out and try looking through both eyes. It just seemed natural to only look through one eye. Looks like my self-congratulations were a bit previous, lol!

cakingcrazy, (interesting forum name)

Welcome to amateur astronomy. That is a nice looking scope, you have a nice friend to have gotten you it. The mount looks like a useable device, I like the two counterweights. Effective way to counterbalance an alt/azm mount when the scope is aimed higher up.

If you find the view a bit wobbly lower the legs to their lowest setting and try putting a brick on the tray to help steady things up. Your next accessory should be something to sit on when observing. A plastic chair, a stool, a milk crate, anything really, sitting down relaxes your body and actually makes it easier to see things as does an eyepatch for the eye not being used. The eyepatch allows you to keep the other eye open and not squinted shut, this also helps the other eye to see better.

As far as keeping the other bottom cap on when using the scope is really up to you. Larger newtonians (the type yours is) have an open back to help cool the mirror prior to use. Should not be a problem with yours but if you find that it takes a while for the image quality to reach its optimum then try it with the rear cap off for a bit. I usually set my scopes up when light starts to fade then go make a cup of tea and have a biscuit before going out. The scope's optics need to equalize to the outside temperature before the performance is optimized.

Have fun. It's an addictive hobby with many different aspects.

As far as keeping the other bottom cap on when using the scope is really up to you. Larger newtonians (the type yours is) have an open back to help cool the mirror prior to use. Should not be a problem with yours but if you find that it takes a while for the image quality to reach its optimum then try it with the rear cap off for a bit. I usually set my scopes up when light starts to fade then go make a cup of tea and have a biscuit before going out. The scope's optics need to equalize to the outside temperature before the performance is optimized.

so once the scope was at the right temperature would there be any reason to replace the end cap?

sorry for the slight thread hijack :smiley:

so once the scope was at the right temperature would there be any reason to replace the end cap?

sorry for the slight thread hijack :smiley:

Matter of preference really. Might help the larger scopes to maintain temperature equilibrium if the ambient temperature is dropping. Little cooling fans are often mounted at the rear of the larger newtonians.

I would put the cap back on both ends for storage.

Matter of preference really. Might help the larger scopes to maintain temperature equilibrium if the ambient temperature is dropping. Little cooling fans are often mounted at the rear of the larger newtonians.

I would put the cap back on both ends for storage.

ok, thanks for that.

Hi everyone :o)

This s my first post here.... Hope it's ok joining this thread....

I too got the Jesops 1100-102 Scope for xmas as a pressie....:o) Unfortunatly as you're all probably aware we've only had one clear night since then. Thats was enough for me to get some awesome views of the moon though!

I'm aware that this is very much a starter scope and will probably upgrade quickly but in the meantime im hoping for some help... I was hoping to do some Astro Photography as i am a keen photographer and have recently aquired a Nikon D700... I was under the impression that i could buy a 'T ring' and a 'T adapter' and this would let me use the camera with the scope... On telephoning Harrison Telescopes they have informed me that this telescope will be no good for photography as the eyepiece wont allow my camera to be close enough to focus....?!

Any advice woud be really apreciated..

Hi Moocow. I have just been on about the same thing, and have started a thread in the getting started with imaging bit. I only have a fuji point and shoot compact camera, but it does have ccd filtering. I have cobbled together an adaptor to fix the camera and scope together, and will give it a try. It might be an epic failure, but if I don't try I wont know. I am going to go outside in a bit and see if I can get any sort of focus in the daylight. Passes an otherwise boring afternoon if nothing else!

Archived