EQ5 versus HEQ5 Pro

Hi all,

As I'm going to be unable to afford to soon, I've decided that now is the time (if any) to think about getting a heavier duty mount for imaging using my 200PDS and an ST80.

I currently have an EQ5, which is right on the limit for imaging (although the foul weather this/last year has put paid to any actual attempts!) and am considering moving up to the HEQ5 Pro.

How does it compare to the EQ5 for size? The EQ5 only just fits in my car boot. Any kit has to be portable as I can't set it up at home.

Also, what's the second hand market like for mounts, both buying and selling?

HEQ5 will fit in if EQ5 does. HEQ5 is minimum i think for your scopes for imaging, although if you could find NEQ6 at the

right price it would be preferable and be future proof. All are about same size it is the weight that is the difference :)

I am sure you will not have trouble moving your other mount to a purely visual person;

Velvet :wub:

the HEQ5 should fit fine, its a much better mount, if I remember correctly it payload capacity is nearly double that of the EQ5. The NEQ6 is a great mount but you may have more portability issues with it as from what Ive heard its a much heavier mount. If you can afford to do so, upgrade to the HEQ5.

The NEQ-6 is HEAVY, but I can manage it myself without a problem. Then again I work out and train MMA 3 times a week... the NEQ-6 has been reported to be too cumbersome for some people. I think that Olly said that the HEQ-5 is to prefer for when driving to dark sites and I can only agree that the less weight is a boon then :)

I have traded a few times on SGL, and prefer that to going to somwhere like eBay. It's just provides that little extra bit of security I find. I sold an HEQ5 here a while ago, and wouldn't hesitate to buy a mount here. You may need more posts though to access this section, I'm not sure.

The HEQ5 canot be praised enough! The NEQ6 is beefier - but performance wise similar, as in general accuracy. The difference in size is noticable between these two and the difference in weight is most, most noticable! I wouldn't be overly keen to lug the NEQ6 around too often. I'm a peaceful man, no MMA training going on here :tongue:

/Jesper

I've just weighed my intended kit (tube, guidescope, guider and camera) and it comes to about 12.5 kg.

Will the HEQ5 cope with this for imaging?

(I found that I couldn't balance the scope with this weight on my EQ5!)

Payload according to FLO (http://www.firstligh...ro-synscan.html) is 11kg for imaging, and 15kg for visual.

There seem to be various payload specifications on different sites, some going to 18kg.

Blimey, this is going to be tricky, as I don't want to have to carry something as heavy as an NEQ6 around, but I need something portable that will carry a decent set of kit.

Hi I recently upgraded my EQ5 for an HEQ5 pro synscan. The upgrade is a massive improvement on the eq5 the scope is far more stable. I think the neq5 is somewhere in the middle.

As for weight the tripod is the same on the 5 family of mounts although you don't get a bubble level on the HEQ5 the mount it s self is far chunkier but manageable.

• 2 years later...

I use the eQ5 pro with a 200 Pds and st80. Had to buy and extra counter weight to balance. Seems to be fine but only used it for dslr work and short 2 or 3 min subs then got a CCD and a EQ6 GT, so can't say how it would be for long subs. Seems stable though and I have taken it to dark sky sites in the car boot.

Blimey, this is an old thread of mine that's reappeared!

As you can see from my signature, I went with the NEQ6 in the end. It's heavy, but fits in the car and does its job as required.

Archived