Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Pop up Observatory

• 2 weeks later...

I have used a large, 3mx3m I think, pop-up gazebo to cover my scope (nEQ6 with 6" f9 (long) refractor on) when a shower has come over.

......but I have not used it to cover sides & remove roof struts.

Edited by LDUNN1

Gazebos need the roof to make them rigid. I'm gonna make 4 concrete feet with holes in the middle that 6ft ish drainpipes will stand in , these will be be easy to slide in and out , I'll put brackets at the top of the drainpipes and then put some curtain rail on to some 2x1 timber , these rails will just lift on / off the brackets , add some curtains - i think they will need to be about a 3ft drop , so I can close the curtains to hide any light but also open the curtains if they are obstructing my view , and easily remove them or the posts if they are still obstructing . should take minutes to assemble and dissassmble , about £40 to make I reckon .

For what I need, the gazebo is more than rigid enough especially with the weights on the feet. It will not be a permanent setup so the wind won't affect it, if it's windy enough to damage the gazebo then it would be too windy to setup the scope anyways so I won't be using it.

It also seems like the best way to get what I'm after on a shoestring budget & with the least amount of hassle.

Jeff

We've already discussed those Johnners.

For what they are, the prices are extortionate & not worth it IMO. Also, they are nowhere near big enough for either a 12" dob or for my Astro imaging rig.

I can buy a 3m x 3m pop up gazebo for £72 which will be perfect for me after removing the roof struts & cutting out the roof material which is about 1hr work. This seems to be the best idea so far as it gives the space needed & wind protection at a reasonable price.

Jeff

They do exist for a price - http://www.365astron...tent-p-865.html

Kev.

Good spot, hadn't seen anyone selling these in the uk. But it's a little pricey and small.

im thinking along the lines of a tarp/sheet and a washing line across the driveway to mask out the light. I'm sure an elegant solution will be forthcoming....

:grin:

Gazebos need the roof to make them rigid. I'm gonna make 4 concrete feet with holes in the middle that 6ft ish drainpipes will stand in , these will be be easy to slide in and out , I'll put brackets at the top of the drainpipes and then put some curtain rail on to some 2x1 timber , these rails will just lift on / off the brackets , add some curtains - i think they will need to be about a 3ft drop , so I can close the curtains to hide any light but also open the curtains if they are obstructing my view , and easily remove them or the posts if they are still obstructing . should take minutes to assemble and dissassmble , about £40 to make I reckon .

Dont forget to send in a photo when you get this up and running

I found this thread interesting as I will be taking my skymax 127 MAK to Sweden. During the summer months I am more concerned about the mosquitoes that will be ready to eat me alive after dark. I was wondering about setting up some sort of gazebo with netting.

:grin:

Dont forget to send in a photo when you get this up and running

Will do , hoping to get 1 wall done & tested over the next week , can't set concrete till the frost goes and will have to get the best curtains out if I'm posting pics.

This is something I need to sort out as well as I have light overspill from neighbours. Mine's mainly from one direction but I'll need it probably 8' tall. A shallow C-shape would do me.

I guess everyone's needs will be quite different.

I've just found this site which may be useful for components for other home-builders out there.

http://www.profabrics.co.uk/index.php

e.g. Coated nylon by the metre, telescopic tent poles, webbing and tape for loops etc.

HTH

Lee

This is something I need to sort out as well as I have light overspill from neighbours. Mine's mainly from one direction but I'll need it probably 8' tall. A shallow C-shape would do me.

I guess everyone's needs will be quite different.

I've just found this site which may be useful for components for other home-builders out there.

http://www.profabrics.co.uk/index.php

e.g. Coated nylon by the metre, telescopic tent poles, webbing and tape for loops etc.

HTH

Lee

Useful site Lee ....

• 7 years later...

I've been thinking about buying some black ripstop material and some spring steel, "the kind you get in pop up tents" and then make what all I can describe is a large 6'-7' tunnel.. The kind your pet cat has or your kids climb through.. Stand that up and it's light enough pick up and move easily and ample enough to block out stray light. Costing is about £75 to make one.. I think with tabs to peg it down or weigh it down on the inside that would be a good marketable mobile pop up observatory.