NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

About to take the plunge - advice needed

Hi,

After some research and speaking with Martin from FLO (very helpful) I'm on the verge of purchasing my first telescope mainly to be used for getting into DSO imaging with some planetary visual. I would like to avoid something really large with a reasonably stress free setup as it's a first scope.

I should start by saying I have no experience in this field although I'm a keen photographer, familiar with shooting HDR, stacking, photoshop etc.

I have a budget of £1000 and decided to go for: Skywatcher 150pds with HE5Q synscan, I will be using a Cannon 1100D and have a pair of 15x70 Skymaster binos.

A few questions...

- Before I pull the trigger I just wanted some expert options on my equipment choices for my needs?

- Also, for imaging I know I will need a T-ring adapter for my 1100D - what else would you recommend at this early stage or is this OK for now?

- I'm not really sure how the whole 'guiding' thing works? Do i need additional guiding equipment or is this done as part of the synscan/mount?

Thanks

the skywatcher coma corrector is a must ! and make sure you get the m48 t-ring with it too.

guiding can be done through a finder or an additional scope mounted on top of the tube rings.

i wouldnt worry to much about guiding yet untill you get your mount you will have get to grips with polar aligning, with accurate polar aligning you will be able to get 2-3 min subs unguided, then once your use to PA and taking your subs then move on into guiding its a big steep learning curve but very rewarding and does your bank in :) also try using either backyard eos or APT to control your 1000d much easier to focus. if you need any help theres lots of thread on here or just drop me a PM im always happy to help the noobs, i think i have encountered nearly every error message system failure that AP can throw at me and now im up and running :)

Hi there

It's a nice piece of kit. Will be able to do some good work with just the HEQ-5 and 150PDS. It's similar to my setup except I have a heavier mount.

You need a T-2 ring for your camera and you need a collimator so you can adjust the mirror. You can easily wait with the coma corrector, but you will probably want to invest in it eventually just like Daniel says it's a must when you want to maximize your 150PDS potential.

If you do a correct polar alignment you can take unguided pictures of atleast 1 minute ( I did 2 minutes unguided to try and capture the Horse Head last week, worked fine ).

After a while you can get a laptop, guide camera and a guidescope (that is better than for instance the synguider). That will send corrections to the mount and allow you to take exposures of 5 minutes and more.

Check my gallery for some stuff I've done with a 150PDS and a Nikon DSLOR on a similar mount as yours.

You can save yourself quite a bit of cash and buy the HEQ5 syntrek and use EQMOD which does more or less the same thing as the synscan, altho u would need to be hooked up to a laptop. Just a thought :smiley:

Steve

Agreed, then this will free up a bit of spare cash for a guiding system, the finder/guider solution is relatively cheap, I sorted my guiding system out for around £250 maybe less, this along with the HEQ5 syntrek and EQMOD with your 150pds will produce some great images and keep you very busy on clear nights :)

Hi there

It's a nice piece of kit. Will be able to do some good work with just the HEQ-5 and 150PDS. It's similar to my setup except I have a heavier mount.

You need a T-2 ring for your camera and you need a collimator so you can adjust the mirror.

So do i need both T-2 ring AND M48 t-ring? with my Cannon 1100D (slightly confused)

Also, I'm a bit nervous about the whole collimator - I've read that I will need to do this straight out of the box, what is it? and why do we use it? are they expensive?

cheers

So do i need both T-2 ring AND M48 t-ring? with my Cannon 1100D (slightly confused)

Also, I'm a bit nervous about the whole collimator - I've read that I will need to do this straight out of the box, what is it? and why do we use it? are they expensive?

cheers

No, the 150pds focuser has the correct adaptor to fit to the t-ring, so you need one of these, then you're ready http://www.firstlightoptics.com/adaptors/t-rings.html This actually confuses some people (me including) because you cannot find the "camera adaptor" on your scope, but you actually just unscrew the 1.25" eyepiece holder from the focuser and attatch your T-ring and camera. Here are some pictures of the procedure:

post-26290-0-17328800-1355870164_thumb.j

post-26290-0-86559400-1355870166_thumb.j

post-26290-0-58893300-1355870169_thumb.j

post-26290-0-30026000-1355870171_thumb.j

post-26290-0-14534100-1355870173_thumb.j

post-26290-0-63501300-1355870174_thumb.j

post-26290-0-48956500-1355870176_thumb.j

Collimation is easy once you get the knack for it. First time it took me 10 minutes, now it takes a minute. Just google for youtube videos about it. I use a Baader laser collimator, but a Cheshire will do fine.

Archived