Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Obituary

iancandler

It is with great sadness that I have to report the demise of "arthurs mount".

Sadly this idiot dropped the hand controller whilst moving it and it has decided to resist all attempts to fire it up again.

The cost of a new hand controller is prohibitvely expensive so its going to my brother who is going to attempt to modify/repair it for his own use.

I'll probably get one of the merlins as soon as funds permit as I will miss a little grab and go electric mount.

For those that dont remember, "arthurs mount" was the title I gave a little modified tasco mount I bought from arthur a while back.

I know it is of no consolation to you Ian, but I venture to say there is probably a very high rate of equipment damage amongst amateur astronomers throughout the the UK. I would also guess that the cost of this damage, mostly through carelessness, runs to a very high level.

It is trying to work in the dark you see, or don't see, if you see what I mean. It's easily done, so don't beat yourself up over it. You are not alone.

Ron. :D

Sure.. no problem there.. In fact I have already been working on ways to get around its altitude limitations via creative mounting of the scope.

My C5 wont be an issue on it, but the 80mm might be to long at the back to reach more than 60deg if mounted on the supplied L bracket.

Its a shame about AM, I loved that little mount and could carry it with ease, but though the merlin is heavier I was told the other day that the head assy is just over 4LB so not to bad.

I just want to get out in the garden this winter after spending most of last stuck in.

In memory of

Arthur S. Mount

who passed away in October 2007.

He was much loved by the OTA's to whom he gave much support and by his owner Ian.

We sincerely hope his successor, Merlin, will live up to his standards.

RIP

Andrew

Archived