Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Has anyone built a "roll-down" roof observatory?

omaroo

Hi all :D

I'm looking to build an observatory soon, but am of the opinion that I don't want a dome. Domes scream "expensive instruments inside" I think. Roll-off roof types are great but take a fair amount of ground room.

This design, out of an old Sky & Telescope looks like a good bet. When closed up it looks like nothing more than an innocuous garden shed that might otherwise have a clapped-out lawn mower, a rake and a hose stored in it.

Doesn't look too hard to build, and I really like the idea of opening just one side or the other if required. I'd orient it so that one roof rolled down exposes due north and the other due south. It loses a bit at either end, but in my location I have nothing to view where these high sections are anyway.

Cheers

Chris

2_G.jpg

3_G.jpg

4_G.jpg

5_G.jpg

6_G.jpg

7_G.jpg

8_G.jpg

Ahh Karlo! our very own TV star!

Yeh matey, I guessed there should be four, but they still look a bit small, unless they are just to help a bit with the weight of the roof?

I quite fancy this design, but it still takes up a fair bit of room.

JV

I'm looking for innovative designs at the moment.... minimum effort to roll off (I'm only little), minimum footprint, maximum sky, minimum disruption to garden, maximum protection and warmth - and if all that could be cheap as well :D

Any innovative people out there like a challenge :shock:

Helen

I'm looking for innovative designs at the moment.... minimum effort to roll off (I'm only little), minimum footprint, maximum sky, minimum disruption to garden, maximum protection and warmth - and if all that could be cheap as well :D

Helen

I think in order to fulfill your criteria Helen, you need to be speaking to the wizard of Oz. :lol:

I think also, you would be waiting in a very long queue.

Ron. :lol:

Helen

Sounds like you need to be asking a certain TimeLord if his transporter may be coming up for sale! I do have a link for a whole range of obs but can't find it at the mo, will look for it when I get back ( I think it's on the PC) and post later .

Karlo

Hey, they're filming Dr Who very close to me....perhaps.... :D:lol:

As with everything, this is about compromise. In my case I seem to have quite a few less than ideal options and I just need to do the SWOT analysis for each one - and then get Mike to do the same, and see which one works best for both us!

If you did have a list Karlo that would be brilliant. I've done quite a bit of research, but there are so many variations out there that I'm sure I've only scratched the surface. And one of the ones I haven't seen might just be perfect (ish).

Helen

<walks off with tape measure in hand>

Sorry :oops: :oops: my fault for going off at a tangent mid thread. (Mods: can you split this thread)

So back on topic..

Does look like a neat design omaroo if you got the room on each side, and can get the counterweights sorted out!

Helen

Sorry :oops: :oops: my fault for going off at a tangent mid thread. (Mods: can you split this thread)

So back on topic..

Does look like a neat design omaroo if you got the room on each side, and can get the counterweights sorted out!

Helen

LOL Helen :D

No worries. It's all related in the end!

I'm not sure why people are assuming that the counterweights are a problem. What is shown..well.. works! The roof sections are quite light, and all the counerweights need to do is assist you to move them. According to the article I took this from, the owner states that raising and lowering the roof sections is a one-handed job.

Cheers

Chris

Your right , the c/w's shouldn't be a problem at all-they are simply to aid . In the plan I came across, once built you wouldn't even be aware of the weight necessarily, no more so than when using a sash window.

Karlo

PS sorry for helping to go off-thread.

Well, I suppose that the biggest plus in this design, for me, is the fact that you can roll down just the one side you want to observe through. You can leave the other up, which affords you dew shelter and a nice comfy undercover spot to sit for the night. From what I've seen so far of roll-off designs, you have to pretty-well have the whole thing open.

Archived