Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Magazines, whats best to get?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd say buy an issue or two of each and decide what you like best. There are in fact four that I know of. The two British ones are Sky at Night and Astronomy Now, while the American ones are Sky and Telescope and Astronomy.

Personally I've yet to "settle" and tend to end up getting either both or neither of the British mags in a given month, depending on how active I am with observing. I have found that on the observing guides S@N and AN tend to cover the same targets but one a month later than the other.

I like Sky and Telescope and agree that the US adverts are a bummer, but some of the articles are great. There was a really interesting one this month about video astronomy which has inspired me to give this a try over the next year or two.

I really recommend Astronomy http://www.astronomy.com/ It is a US magazine, but recently included interviews with Brian May, the late Patrick Moore and the Baker Street Irregulars. Interesting to read about UK astronomy scene from the outside POV. Plus it also has regular articles on imaging and visual and it's science features are very good.

AN and S@N are good. AN probably has the edge for me (better articles and features). My sub of S@N is often delivered with a huge amount of huge junk mail.

I've been getting Astronomy Now for years, It always seemed like THE Astronomy magazine, i helped that it was the only one the local newsagent stocked when i first got interested in the hobby :grin: :grin:

Saying that, Sky @ Night magazine is also a firm favourite, love the format, over the years i've tried most of them......gives me something to read at work :book1: Ha Ha!!

I used to subscribe to Sky@Night and Astronomy Now but to be honest I tend to buy them as and when be it for a particular equlpment review or written article. For those starting out perhaps such as yourself, I think the Sky@Night magazine is a good starting point but I would make sure you get a decent star atlas if you want to find some of the monthly listed objects - there just isn't enough detail in the ones supplied.

James

Archived