SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Magazines, whats best to get?

Hi again.

So finally got some limited gazing inbetween clouds alread hooked and thinking of upgrading to a 130p reflector :D

However im looking at magazines you can subscribe to and get and the 2 that stand out the most are sky and telescope and the sky at night.

Does anyone have any prefrence or opinion on which is better and why before i buy 1 copy to see what i think of it?

Thanks

Gary

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

+1 for Astronomy Now. Well worth a try. I find it slightly better than Sky at Night - better "science" content. Luckily I was given a Sky at Night subscription for my birthday so I can get both magazines each month now :).

Horses for courses I guess. I subscribe to the S@N and find it a very good read. I like the monthly starcharts and I do find it an overall good read. I have looked at Astronomy Now a couple of times as well, but I cannot afford to but them all.

I get all of them but find Sky & Telescope the one I look forward to the most each month.

I have a digital subscription for that so I can read it on my iPad - it only cost $30 for a whole year, a massive saving on the print edition.

Over the yrs i have bought: Sky at night, Astronomy Now and Sky and Telescope.

In my mind Astronomy Now is the best. Less adverts,more articles.

I dont buy any now because all the info i need is free online.

I am a member of Astronomy Ireland until the end of this month and i get a monthly magazine in the post, but its toilet paper thin and really only has content that i have already read online weeks before.

I dont think its on sale outside of Ireland.

over the years iv tried a fair few mags, and i came to the conclusion of thus

sky at night seems written more for the amerature, with all the technical written in plain english (and i dont want to tread on any toes of members so please guys i dont want any one to take it personally what so ever) but i find it fairly basic but does have nice reviews

astronomy now, it seems to be the next step up, a little more in debth but not much again though nice reviews they seem to be similar to S@N and so complement each other.

above that is Sky and telescope, an american mag, and alot more in debth and content, but even with my knowlage it can sometimes go over my head

one not mentioned and i do enjoy reading once every so often is the practical astronomy http://practicalastronomy.com/ which is free.

Yep, defo British, check out their website

I just did and it said "Britan's best selling astonomy magazine".

Not sure why i thought it was American. Maybe i was confusinjg it with Sky and Telescope which actually is an American magazine.

It (Astronomy Now) is the one i would buy.

sky at night seems written more for the amerature, with all the technical written in plain english (and i dont want to tread on any toes of members so please guys i dont want any one to take it personally what so ever) but i find it fairly basic but does have nice reviews

I'm certainly not taking offence at this, and if you were a beginner, this is a fairly good recommendation really, as it's exactly what you need!

I have only ever read Astronomy Now, and found it ok, but I mostly read stuff I want to know online (most of it on SGL from other members :grin: )

I do get Sky and Telescope from time to time, and it does have a good selection of articles too, but I can't afford to get all the mags each month :(, and I do find the UK specific advertising in the uk mags helpful too.

Archived