NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Deliveries to ROI?

FLO

We are experiencing difficulties with our deliveries to Southern Ireland. We routinely experience delays and even products disappearing enroute. Indeed we experience more difficulties with deliveries to the ROI than 'all' other European destinations combined. We would like to continue dispatching items to the ROI so would be grateful if SGL members who live there would offer advice on which couriers are most reliable please?

Not which dealers but the actual couriers :smiley:

Thank-you,

Steve

I'm in the ROI, and I've found that the bigger companies are generally better, especially when tracking is paid for. Were there problems with tracked or untracked packages?

An Post are the main carrier and are the local handlers for Parcelforce/Royal Mail and USPS locally. Not had any problems with this crew once the package gets onto our shores. DHL (Drop it; Hide it; Lose it?) and UPS (Oops!) aren't bad at all, never had any issues with them for receipt of packages, but I tend to pay for insured and tracked all of the time, and choose one of the main carriers. It probably helps me that I use my workplace as a delivery point so the drivers are already aware of where the place is and that there is a business relationship that needs taking care of.

I think that in a decade of getting parcels via Ebay and various online retailers, I've only had two packages missing out of ~500, both untracked but insured. I had two packages damaged in transit. Not a bad score so far - fingers crossed...

Generally avoid the small operations, based on my experience from my places of work.

(I've had no trouble with any FLO deliveries going missing)

We are experiencing difficulties with our deliveries to Southern Ireland. We routinely experience delays and even products disappearing enroute. Indeed we experience more difficulties with deliveries to the ROI than 'all' other European destinations combined. We would like to continue dispatching items to the ROI so would be grateful if SGL members who live there would offer advice on which couriers are most reliable please?

Not which dealers but the actual couriers :smiley:

Thank-you,

Steve

Hi Steve,

I live in Cork, Southern Ireland, and I felt unhappy about the delivery when I bought my 200P from you guys :D

On the delivery day, I had been checking their online tracking system every 2 minutes, me and my flatmate were in alert state checking out of the window of our living room for anybody approaching our door or even just passing by the road in the front, but nobody showed up when their tracking system informed me about an alleged "missed delivery". Their customer service confirmed that "the delivery man didn't find anyone at home at the delivery time" :icon_rolleyes: but nobody showed up and no delivery card was left anywhere.

It was on a Thursday and they set the next "delivery attempt" to the next Tuesday, although I later found out that my scope was held all the time in their depot which is located only 10 minutes away - by foot - from my house :icon_scratch:

My most recent purchase from you guys (a small box, just a couple of eyepieces and a bahtinov mask) was also delivered by Fedex. This time the delivery address is my new workplace and I haven't experienced any issue in this case: the box is successfully delivered from UK to Cork, Ireland in less then 48 hours.

I would recommend UPS. I ordered an iPad on 18th July 2012 evening and got it delivered on 20th July morning. It was dispatched from a depot in the UK. Back in 2009 I ordered a MacBook Pro, got it delivered in 3 days with UPS. The boxes were sound with no signs of mishandling in both cases.

I recently bought RAM Memory from Crucial and they also use UPS. It was dispatched from Paris and it arrived to Cork via Stansted in about 24 hours (UPS express).

The European headquarters of many big Pharmaceuticals, IT and Electronics companies are based in Cork and many of them use the aforementioned courier to deliver their own products to their customers, I suppose this might make their presence here stronger and thus relate to the efficiency I personally experienced.

TNT seems to be also a big presence in the Cork area but any feedback I would have on their efficiency would be about deliveries to the Island of Sardinia several years ago.

I have bought many items (not only Astro related stuff) from many sources, most of them based in the UK. Most items (generally medium-small boxes) were shipped via Royal Mail and it's always been pretty good, deliveries were always reasonably quick (48 hours or less in most cases). I actually had a few missed deliveries with An Post and a few boxes not in perfect conditions but nothing major anyway.

Hope it helps :icon_salut:

Thank-you for your comments :smiley:

For deliveries to the ROI we use regular mail for smaller items and FedEx for high value and med-large packages. People like to bash couriers but we have found FedEx very good for UK deliveries and it appears they are also ok for deliveries to workplaces in ROI. In all instances our FedEx deliveries are trackable but unfortunately the failed delivery you describe to your ROI home address TziuRiky is not uncommon and the tracking service then proves unreliable. It seems to occur when FedEx use smaller local couriers for the final leg of the journey. We are hoping to find a courier who has a strong presence in ROI so can see the package all the way to it's destination. We are already meeting with DHL and will contact UPS too.

I have not heard of Nightfreight Spec-Chum but will look into the company.

We have a lot of customers living in the ROI so will keep investigating until we find a solution.

Thanks again,

Steve

• 3 months later...

James is handling this, he is holidaying this week but I'll ask him for an update when he returns :smiley:

We are still dispatching to ROI.

and long may it last, I have a few things on my wish list :grin:

Archived