Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

ostara crystalview skyglow moon/lp filter

nicks90

has anyone got one or have any experience with these filters?

they look very simillar to the baader version - ie not just painted glass, but before buying one i thought i would ask the clever folk on here.

theey are on ebay for £10 at the moment and i am very tempted!

nick

it has arrived and is an extremely pretty little thing!

Not had a chance to test it yet - as we've had pretty much solid cloud over forever...... wll feels like it! Although astropanel says tomorrow night will be clear, so fingers crossed.

All i have done so far is hold it up to my eye whilst having a smoke last night in the front garden, and you know what? ALL the orange from the millions of street lights disappeared and I could read the house numbers in the shadows 5 doors down (which i cant do without the filter). Threaed it on to my 25mm ep and it was nice and easy to screw on and felt secure, not oversized or undersized - which is nice.

So first impressions are promising.

here's a link from who i bought it off - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ostara-Crystalview-1-25-Moon-Skyglow-filter-for-telescope-eyepiece-Boxed-/150832290906?pt=UK_Telescope_Filters&hash=item231e4e1c5a

• 4 weeks later...

I have just received mine from the same ebay shop today and it looks impressive.

I have bought it to put in front of my SCB 2000 camera as at the moment it needs some sky glow reduction.

I am just worried it might end up reducing actual light as well!

clear skies!!

i've used mine a couple of times now and i have to say i am mightily impressed! I havent compared it to any expensive filters - but my views of the moon and jupiter are vastly improved from my LP back garden. I even had a go with it on Orion and although it didnt make any more nebulosity appear, it did make the sky 'blacker' meaning it gave what i could see a bit more visual contrast.

I am tempted to get another one, so i dont have to swap it from my 2 main ep's.

I wonder, is there a simple filter holder blank type thing available - like a very shorty barlow without the barlow - where you can screw the filter in and leave it in the focusser and then slot eps into the blank?

nick

i've used mine a couple of times now and i have to say i am mightily impressed! I havent compared it to any expensive filters - but my views of the moon and jupiter are vastly improved from my LP back garden. I even had a go with it on Orion and although it didnt make any more nebulosity appear, it did make the sky 'blacker' meaning it gave what i could see a bit more visual contrast.

I am tempted to get another one, so i dont have to swap it from my 2 main ep's.

I wonder, is there a simple filter holder blank type thing available - like a very shorty barlow without the barlow - where you can screw the filter in and leave it in the focusser and then slot eps into the blank?

nick

That's one of the advantages of getting 2" filters. You can just screw them onto the end of your 2" - 1.25" adaptor and swap EPs as much as you want.

Ok had my first light this Wednesday... I live in a flat and have 30-40 very bright lights facing my balcony.

this lovely filter cleared out andromeda and made it look like a bright star with some fuzzy arms,... With my camera I can always darken my tv screen for contrasts but I must exert, the yellowish glo is GONE!!!

Also was able to see the blue snow ball nebula but it was very small not sure if I saw a near by star but it was light blue and was very impressed!

point is out of all people on SGL my LP is the worst trust me!!! It's the worst amount of stray light one can have.. My heq5 and dale have given up on me I always stargaze from somewhere else.. This filter,ight just save the hobby for me!!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

The cheapest one I found was @ pxr5trading.co.uk

Ostara 2" Eyepiece Filter SkyGlow/Moon for Telescope (337068) £16.46

+

Standard Shipping (European (zone 13) : 0.01 kg(s)):

£1.76 Total including VAT: £18.22

• 3 years later...

Archived