FIrst image using my old Toucam 840K + 200PDS Skywatcher

AndyCo

post-25078-0-91920700-1357081081_thumb.j

Happy 2013 to all.

After an evening spent getting my old Phillips Toucam 840K webcam to work with Windows 7, the clouds broke and I rushed to get about 800 frames with a 2.5x barlow on my new set-up (200PDS Skywatcher with HEQ5 - only second time out since bought >3 weeks ago!). Used SharpCap - took a while to realise I had to set the format to YUY2 - if your Toucam videos are all green, try this change.

The new version of Registax looks quite different from 8 years ago......so I just fairly blindy pressed a few buttons to stack about 100 frames with a very small amount of processing. I must read the manual!

Anyway, thought I'd share. I'm very happy with the equipment so far. I didn't even polar align here (clouds made me hurry) and just tweaked the mount every few seconds. Plenty of room for improvement in all areas.

Io on the left (I think).

Andy.

Very good. Crystal clear. I like it.

Thanks - I'm sure I could get more out of the images if I knew what I was doing with Registax.......

The brightness actually went to zero for a while in this sequence as a cloud rolled through! Seeing was very mediocre when clear, so the stacking helped a lot.

That's a great image. I'd really like to be able to produce something as good.

Thanks. Looks like you already have most of what you need. If your particular web cam doesn't do the job, you can get a Toucam Pro like my old thing for less than 50 pounds on ebay. You don't even need the installation CD (I lost mine!). That plus a barlow and free software is it. I can say truthfully that there was little skill involved in that image and I hope to get better. With your RA drive, you may need to get better polar alignment to keep the image on screen - I don't know how low a speed you can tweak on the motor drive installation.

• 1 month later...

How did you get the PCVC840K working on Windows7? I've just bought an 840K and would welcome any pointers/help on how to get it working on Win7.... did you flash the firmware up to SCP900, or did you fool Win7 into thinking the 840K is a 900K by 'tweaking' the registry (I've seen both methods mentioned)?

Thanks,

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Archived