Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Single or Dual Axis Motor Drives for Skywatcher EQ3-2

Hi again!!!

Following the advice of fellow member, I have been looking into getting myself a Skywatcher EQ3-2 mount (rather than the EQ2 I was originally looking at), and have seen that there are two choices for the optional motor drives. My questions are:

-How does each drive work, and what are their pros and cons

-Which option would be best for me (see my set up in my signature)

I have seen a pre-owned 18mnth old Skywatcher 150p with the mount I am after on the net for £150, much cheaper than the mount on its own RRP around £175.

Many Thanks

Nat

Depending on what you want to do if you polar align the scope pretty well and you want the scope for tracking then a RA motor will do that's all im going to get any way and i think that's good enough if i want to use webcam or DSLR.

The standard EQ3-2 comes without motors attached and they're fitted afterwards. There's a handset to control them that allows movement in RA and DEC at 2x, 4x and 8x speeds. That runs off a 6V battery pack. There are a few mods that can be done if you feel like it, such as reducing the numbers of gears in the DEC drive to remove some of the backlash in the drive system.

The EQ3-2 Pro GOTO has the full Skywatcher GOTO handset, will do alignment on stars and all that sort of stuff and can be coupled up to a guiding system for DSO imaging fairly easily.

Either version is considerably more substantial than the EQ2.

Anything selling for £150 including an OTA has to be the plain EQ3-2 I'd have thought. If it doesn't come with the motors they're about £100 new (they're not a common item to see second hand unless already on a mount). Personally I'd go for the dual axis drive if possible because it means you won't wobble the mount whilst moving it in DEC. Given good polar alignment it's quite possible to live without the DEC drive though.

And speaking of polar alignment, a polar scope is very useful and not particularly expensive. Setting it up is a bit of a faff, but it's pretty much a once-only job and can be done during the day or when it's cloudy. The polar scope reticle is not illuminated (at least on the lower-end version of the mount) and the usual method for seeing what you're doing when polar aligning is to use a red torch to light up the polar scope slightly from the top. Eventually you'll get hacked off with that. I bodged a purpose-built illuminator from some drain pipe fittings and an LED that works very nicely. I'd definitely recommend practising polar alignment from home if you can see Polaris (I think you mentioned going elsewhere for observing in another post?). It's easy when you get the hang of it, but the first few times you'll quite possibly feel a bit lost.

James

A single axis motor will cost around £70, the dual axis set about £90, may even find a dual set for a bit less.

To an extent it is not worth getting the single axis only as you then still have to manaully move the scope in one plane by the manual adjustors while being able to drive via the handset in the other.

A single axis motor will cost around £70, the dual axis set about £90, may even find a dual set for a bit less.

To an extent it is not worth getting the single axis only as you then still have to manaully move the scope in one plane by the manual adjustors while being able to drive via the handset in the other.

I thought once polar aligned you only have to adjust the RA to keep what your observing in the center that's what ive found that is why i said just buy RA motor am i wrong.

"Anything selling for £150 including an OTA has to be the plain EQ3-2 I'd have thought. If it doesn't come with the motors they're about £100 new (they're not a common item to see second hand unless already on a mount)"

The seller has confirmed it isn't motor-driven, and is the standard EQ3-2. So bottom line is, go for the dual axis motor then, is it? And I'm guessing I still have to buy the polar alignment scope if I do go with the dual axis motor?

cheers

xx

I thought once polar aligned you only have to adjust the RA to keep what your observing in the center that's what ive found that is why i said just buy RA motor am i wrong.

If you don't get good polar alignment though, you will need to tweak DEC every so often.

James

arghhhhh, i dont get paid til the 27th lol!!! oh well, fingers crossed they're still there in 4 weeks.

Patience pays, so don't worry too much about it. If you're prepared to wait all sorts of things you're after come up second hand eventually. It's always worth keeping an eye on the SGL classifieds section and Astro Buy & Sell. Most people look after their kit very well so you can often get something almost as good as new.

James

The seller has confirmed it isn't motor-driven, and is the standard EQ3-2. So bottom line is, go for the dual axis motor then, is it? And I'm guessing I still have to buy the polar alignment scope if I do go with the dual axis motor?

I think the dual axis motors are worth the relatively small difference in cost, especially if you want to try a bit of planetary imaging.

You can live without a polar scope, but it's probably the easiest way to get reasonable polar alignment. I'm sure it would be possible to get by without it if you needed to though either by accepting that you're going to get a bit of drift if you just align roughly by eye, or by drift aligning if you felt accuracy was important.

If you end up getting the mount without motors then it's still perfectly acceptable for visual use, so there's no reason you can't add the next bit as the budget allows.

James

wicked, thats what i'll do then, after paying off my t-ring, t-adapter,shutter release cable and dslr tripod (...phew!!). I'll look for the mount and motors (think i'll go for the dual motors, seems the logical choice), and then the polar alignment scope when le monies allow. thanks ppl!!

Archived