NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Panic set in!

Well, my latest project was (and still is, if the clouds ever back off!) hunting down asteroids. I use the Skycharts software to track them down. From where I live (moderate pollution) I can get down to 11th magnitude routinely which gives me access to a huge number of asteroids.

We are all doomed! Saw Horizon on the tv the other day about asteroids. Food for thought !!

Until we are all toasted by a 1km wide monster, I shall continue to watch the endless procession of grim cloud amble silently across the skies and wonder if, I shall ever have the chance to actually go outside, set up and start viewing the stars and constellations which have majestically overseen our fledgling development since time began (somewhere after a Big bang).

Now, where did I leave that umbrella?......

thanks for the replies - contributors to this forum are so helpful. I'm guessing covering the scope with anything other than polythene would be ok?

Yep even a bed sheet will do. Polythene will allow ANY moisure to gather and build up on the scope. Also make sure to tie something around the cover at the base so spiders etc can not become squaters in the scope

Yep even a bed sheet will do. Polythene will allow ANY moisure to gather and build up on the scope. Also make sure to tie something around the cover at the base so spiders etc can not become squaters in the scope

Yes spiders , we get some monsters here in Darwin , scary stuff when they bolt out up your arm while carrying the tube ,,,

Happens a bit here , big old harmless 'Huntsman' spiders bigger than a saucer , and 90 times more frightning ..

not to mention their webs , I hear they do mirror coatings no good ? ,

Brian

Archived