Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Returning after 40 years!

Cornflake

Now I'm retired I've got the time and money (some) to come back to the hobby that as a young boy turned me on to science and the big wide universe. But how things have changed. The equipment is unbellievable and the choice of manufacturers confusing.

So my question - I've just been given as a present from the wife a Meade LT8 which has 2 EPs (getting into the jargon again) a 26mm and a 9mm but I think I should fill the gap with something like a 15mm. There are so many to choose from but I've seen what to me looks a good manufacturer in William Optics which seem a reasonable price but they never seem to be mentioned on here.

Anybody have them or have an opinion on them?

Chris

Welcome back and welcome to the site.

WO do make some very good optics, of that there is no doubt. There are similar eyepiece as WO in the Skywatcher ranges to, so look at those. WO is often mention on here if you dig a bit deeper.

I would go for a BST eyepiece for this 15mm, many site members rate them very highly. You will most likely be buying better than what came with the scope, they seem to have made cutbacks in these area over the last few years. I got a 26mm from their premium range with mine, it was not long after that was stopped.

ExSC seem to make some very nice eyepieces though I have only what is most likely the same in the Meade ranges. Take time to check out the second hand market to.

Alan.

Welcome to the forum Chris and back to the hobby !

I've been in the hobby for nearly as long as you have been out of it and things have changed massively on the equipment front, especially in the last decade when the chinese and russians have entered the party to great effect.

The William Optics UWAN's are great eyepieces as are the Skywatcher Nirvana's which are clones of them (another thing that is very common these days and it can be confusing !). The 16mm UWAN / Nirvana would work very well with your scope :smiley:

Welcome to SGL Chris!

LT8 is a great gift! Do you know the types of the EPs you already have, we're they included with the scope?

I have a Celestron Nexstar 8SE so very similar optical characteristics. A 13-15mm would put you right in the action when it comes to globular clusters, for example. I use an Explore Scientific 82 degree 14mm (along with the 11mm) and find the 82 degree view opens up the view in these scopes. Similar is the Meade 5000 UWA series. Other comparable options might be the Celestron Luminos 15mm or SW Sky panorama, or Nirvana... there's a lot of choice!

Depending on your budget, one of those or the TeleVue Nagler might be worth a look.

The 2 EPs are a Meade 4000 26mm and an unnamed 9mm that the dealer threw in for the wife. The 9mm I find hard to use on the 2 occasions the skies have cleared as I seem to obscure the view with my eyelashes but the 26mm is fine.

I suppose eventully I would replace the 9mm with a branded one with a better eyecup.

Thanks for the replies.

Chris

Chris,

I have the Meade 26mm, how I can't remember, but I have got one. For the money these do a good job with most scopes. I have a few and I have tried in all of them at some point. If you are happy with the Plossl from Meade thay are not so expensive to buy. This is not a bottom rung eyepiece it is a step up from many "with scope" EPs. I have used the 32mm of the same series and I remember it to be good but it was a long time back.

Alan.'

Welcome back, I came back to the hobby after about 20 years, maybe 30 and the equipment was so changed I hardly knew where to start. I'd not rush in though, give yourself some eyeball gime with what you have and do some reading before spending.

Archived