Been away for a while but I'm back

pulsar

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi and welcome back to SGL. I was going to have the same avatar too (Dark Side of the Moon fan......much). Welcome back and happy 2013.

Paul.

Hi Paul Dark side of the moon and I are almost the exact age within 2 weeks. So you might say it's my birth album. Also I am one of the lucky few to have seen the mighty Floyd perform the entire album live (Earls Court 1994). I also consider myself really lucky to have seen them at wait for it.......Earls court The Wall, Wembley stadium Delicate sound of thunder, Venice delicate sound of thunder, Knebworth festival with Led Zeppelin, Earls court Pulse tour and finally the Live 8 gig in Hyde park. So six times have I made a Floydian trip to the dark side my friend. But in truth that's not the reason I chose the album cover for my avatar, I chose it to demonstrate spectroscopy and how it has helped us understand the cosmos and what things are made of ie stars. I have even recreated this myself with a prism on a pole and a shaft of sunlight whilst using a smoke machine to show the spectrum. :)

I have a nice warm feeling now as I have just Given my Meade DS2090 90mm refractor away for nothing to a member of the Baker street irregular astronomers (my astronomy society). I hope you have great fun with it Sue I did but it did give me aperture fever. :)

Just another quick question if I may?

Having now decided to go for the Startravel 150 My thoughts have turned to my filtering requirements. I already own a Baader Neodymium filter but have been reading that if I stack it with the Fringe Killer I would get the same effect as purchasing the Semi-Apo one that Baader produce.

Is this true or should I just get the Semi-Apo one? As I am primarily a visual observer what I see through my optics is very important. And this telescope will be used for public outreach astronomy so I want to give new observers the best views I can. Good views I think will produce more interest in astronomy and help it to grow.

I have also been thinking of making some upgrades to the scope itself ie a crayford focuser to replace the rack and pinion one it's fitted with. Any suggestions on which focuser's would be a suitable for this telescope would be appreciated also. Indeed any advice on how to get the best performance out of a Startravel 150 would be welcome. :)

I have received the Startravel 150 this very morning and it really is an impressive telescope. The objective lens is HUGE and is absolutely flawless to look at with very nice coatings. The focuser is actually really nice and smooth. I have it mounted on my EQ3 and it balanced ok, I have had to use both of my counterweights but it seems stable and does not look overly large on this mount. But I will have to see if this transposes to practical applications. I feel confident that it will be at least usable for visual observation but until I mount a camera to it I will not know about this mounts suitability for imaging. But EQ5's can be had out there for not mental money.

The telescope itself is really well constructed with a very pleasing finish to the paintjob. A nice large and metal dew shield up the front. Also the fit of all the component parts is of excellent quality with no gaps or any dodgy screws. If I were to only use 2 words to describe this OTA they would be "BAD ASSED". I cannot wait for first light with this instrument.

I am very happy with this telescope so far now let's get some clear skies and test out the optics. :) :)

Archived