Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Jupiter, xmas night,celestron6,asi120mm.

philwright66

managed to get an hour imaging on christmas night using my grab n go c6 sct. first light with my mono asi 120mm camera.(no rgb filters yet).seeing seemed pretty good,and Jupiter happened to have Io crossing it .used a 2.5x apo barlow for a total of 3700mm @f25. this image was a stack of around 1000 frames from 2800.

cheers,phil (coventry).

post-10784-0-70058700-1356883701_thumb.j

i guess the session was really just a quick test of the new camera,to mainly get the feel of the way it behaves. i used sharpcap at various fps,and image sizes. unfortunately,my laptop has a habit of draining the battery in about 1 hour,even when set in 'power saver' mode. i guess having an i7 quad core spec isn't always a good idea.next clear night - maybe new year's eve - i will use my main 'scope (180mm mak),and see how things are.

cheers,phil.

Keep at it Phil, an honest start - the i7 is the go and i use one myself (an Asus) but running on battery mode is allways going to be dubious with these power-hungry beasts: if you can't get a mains supply out to your scope do what i do in the field and purchase one of those cheap dc convertors for your laptop from any decent electronics supply stores, they operate off a car battery and come with multiple plugs for all the laptops and have a selection switch for the voltage your machine requires.

Don't fall for buying one of those "power tanks" or "Jumpstarter" units that only have a low-capacity gel cell and are primarily what they're called - jumpstarters - a budget-priced automotive battery with a carry handle and smallish charger won't cost much more and will give far greater run-time with the convertor - just remember to recharge it straight after use and it'll give you good and lengthy service.....

But switch to FireCapture is my honest suggestion mate: Sam, Torsten and myself spent a lot of time getting the ASI120MM fully-compatible with F/Capture, the best planetary imaging capture software by far (and also free) with the greatest flexibility..!

cheers mate. i'll have a close look at your power supply suggestion. i have firecapture 2.2(beta) installed ,so i will give it a go next imaging session!

thanks again,phil.

ps i've just got the colour version -ASI120MC - delivered today,so i can compare both cams on the same night.

I've been umming and ahhing on whether to get a mono version to go with my MC, so will be very interested in your results.

I had been wondering if it might be possible to use one as a guide camera whilst using the other for imaging...

James

James, I fired off an email to Sam and he says there shouldn't be any problem running an MC & MM at the same time apart from bandwidth if on the same USB port.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Archived