Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Eyepiece quandaries.

For my birthday (June) I recieved a much anticipated Skywatcher Explorer 130M (EQ-2). It its a brilliant piece of kit, with astronomically better views than my previous hand me down scope, that was unidentifiably old. Anyway, six months have passed and I have seen many wonders of the universe, my favourites so far including the Ring Nebula, the Great Globular Cluster in Hercules and of course Jupiter and Saturn.

Now I would like to invest some more into my telescope and would like to upgrade my EPs. My problem being that there are so many on the market I cannot for the life of me, identify which will work well with my telescope. So far, I have thought about the, Baader Hyperion, Sky-Watcher Ultrawide Eyepieces, Baader Ortho Planetary, TS Planetary HR and Explore Scientific EPs.

My questions:

Which, if any will work well/best with my current telescope set up?

Is it worth investing in a superduper EP (if there is one) that will work not only with my current telescope but also any future telescope?

Many kind regards,

Rupert.

Hi Rupert, the Explore Scientific 82 series are excellent ep's, but I would try something a bit cheaper to start off with, such as the BST Explorers/StarGuiders which are good value at £47 from Sky's the Limit, excellent contrast and a 60 degree FoV. You will also find Alan, the proprieter, a great guy to deal with. Link here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=bst+explorer&_sacat=0&_from=R40

Im guessing you have the 2 ep`s that came with the telescope, i would suggest getting a 12mm or 15mm BST explorer to try, if you dont like it then sell it for near what you pay for it, if your happy with it add some more at a later date

Archived