newbie needs help

hi there everyone, I'm new to the world of both Internet and stargazing so would be happy to accept any help offered. I'm not too sure on all the technical terms used on here whilst I've been browsing so "dumbing down" may be required lol

my fiancee bought me a tasco 132T 3" telescope for Christmas yey and last night did get a lovely virgin view of the moon (it was beautiful)

the eye pieces I have with it are H20mm and H6mm also a 2x Barlow lens oh and a moon filter that I'm not quite sure where that fits on lol.

is there any local clubs or something where I can go to to help me learn a little more hands on

thanks for reading

charlie

Hi Charlie!

Welcome to SLG. Your filter should screw into your eye piece. It should have a threaded end. Best advice I can give you is to just get out there with your scope and have a look up! Maybe buy a planisphere so you get some idea on where and what is in the night sky. Joining your local Astro club will help. You'll find people who will be more than willing to help! http://www.sheffieldastro.org.uk/

Hope you enjoy your new scope.

Adam

Hi Charlie!

Welcome to SLG. Your filter should screw into your eye piece. It should have a threaded end. Best advice I can give you is to just get out there with your scope and have a look up! Maybe buy a planisphere so you get some idea on where and what is in the night sky. Joining your local Astro club will help. You'll find people who will be more than willing to help! http://www.sheffieldastro.org.uk/

Hope you enjoy your new scope.

Adam

thanks ill look at the filter before i go out later and thanks for the link I'll look into it :grin:

Welcome to SGL. Great piece of free software called Stellarium. Planisphere software for PC. Great for learning skies and planning sessions.

http://www.stellarium.org/

Regards

Marc

Sent from my galaxy s3 using tapatalk 2

Thanks Marc ill look into the link you sent me, as I mentioned I'm not entirely sure what I'm doing Internet wise so it may take me some time to figure out but I'm enjoying all the info being given all the same :grin:

Charlie, I can second the Stellarium route. It is very good and easy enough to use so have a crack at it. You may also want to check out www.ngc891.com as this site has printable star maps per constellation and I found these very useful indeed when starting out. Please don't be shy to ask anything, as chances are someone else will need to know it and we all started out once!!

As a bit more of a traditional route, why not buy Turn Left at Orion book. Lots of simple, useful info and written with amateurs and smaller instrument users in mind.

Good luck :)

stellarium is the best program I Have found for planning your viewing, Highly recommend if you have a computer to download it.

It also operates in red light night mode so you can use it during observing sessions on a lap top. Just don't do what I did and forget to switch off your screen saver. whilst staring happily at stellarium to see what was where using the night vision mode and with the screen brightness turned right down to preserve my night vision, when my screen saver cut in displaying lots of bright holiday snaps from last year - destroying my night vision Doh!

Archived