NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

SW 150pds & HEQ5 ( FIRST SCOPE )

So peeps ive decided for a first scope for me and my daughter.

Weve decided to go for a used HEQ5 mount & New from FLO a SW 150PDS. As were all new to this were wondering what we can expect from this setup visually & for AP.

Any advice on this setup would be apprieciated.

Thanks Andy

Well that should be a very solid combination.

You should get good views of Jupiter with its 4 moons showing, and good detail on Saturn and its rings when it returns. DSOs are grey and fuzzy however you look at them, but there are a view exceptions such as M45 and M57 spring to mind.

A copy of 'Turn Left at Orion' will be handy if you dont have it already.

Hi Andy, I have the 150p (optically the same) on an older HEQ5 mount in my obsy, for AP it should do you proud in my opinion, its a fairly fast system at f/5 which basically means that you can get away with less epxosure time compared to say a slower f/7 scope for example, Also f/5 isn't so fast that collimation becomes super critical e.g. collimation spot for an f/5 is about 5mm but at f/4 it is about 1-2mm. Heres a pic I did with mine plus a modded 350D the other day which might give you some idea of the framing at 750mm focal length:)

post-16129-0-24834200-1355698597_thumb.p

You'll just need a Canon T-ring for attaching one of your cameras to the scope, plus I recommend a programmable trigger release which allows you to set the length, number and gap between exposures. This is unless you plan on controlling your Canon from your computer using Back yard EOS.

Heres a link to the T-ring from FLO:

http://www.firstligh...rs/t-rings.html

Welcome to the astrophotography club:)

Also if you have bad light polution where you live I can't recommend the following light polution filter highly enough, its transformed my imaging!

http://www.365astronomy.com/astronomik-cls-visual-clipfilter-for-canon-eos-cameras-p-2184.html

Heres a link to the T-ring from FLO:

http://www.firstligh...rs/t-rings.html

Welcome to the astrophotography club:)

Also if you have bad light polution where you live I can't recommend the following light polution filter highly enough, its transformed my imaging!

http://www.365astron...ras-p-2184.html

Thanks for all the input starfox, light pollution isnt to bad where i live, ill see how i get on and if needed i'll buy thelight pollution filter uve recommended, regarding your other i do

already have a programmable cable release for my 600d but not the 5d mk2?

What would you recommend dslr wise to use on the setup, the 5d mk2 or the 600d? 5d mk2 has alot better resolution than the 600d as that is a crop sensor and also the 5d mk2 wins hands down on the low light performance (ISO).

Thanks Andy

I have the 150PDS and it's a cracking little scope. I really havent had much time to try it out, but during prime conditions from a semi light polluted area its stunning. With the HEQ5 you got a real powerhouse of an imaging rig. The 750mm focal length is great for fitting most objects and the F/5 is nice, but dont forget about collimation.

I dont think you benefit from too many megapixels, as they will usually only increase noise, so I think the crop sensor will do fine. If you do have live view you can digitally zoom, you'll have a really good way to get good focus.

Here are some examples of what I've done with my 150PDS and a D5100 Nikon at prime focus:

My best thusfar, 33x30 sec lights, darks:

2nd DSO M45

My first stacked image 40x20sec lights, darks:

Reprocessed first DSO M31

My one sub tests:

1 sub, 30 sec, M42

M33 triangulum

M27 dumbbell nebula

M15  globular cluster

C13 Owl Cluster

Thanks Matt!

Yes, those last, just a quick and dirty shot of 30sec with just stretching and sharpness in Photoshop. I am very pleased with how they turned out.

The 150PDS (and my Nikon D5100) is very competent, now I "just" lack a coma corrector and guiding.

Archived