Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Focusing/Live View Canon 1000D

Catweazel

Hi all,

I have a Canon 1000D (unmodified) that I use for AP. I have managed to get a few pics (mainly moon but some Orion Neb) but am having a problem getting focused with other targets. I am using APT with live view mode on the 1000D and a Bahtinov mask on the scope. The problem seems to be that I can't see anything on the live view screen on APT; I know that live view works OK, and I can see the bright star in the viewfinder, but not on the LCD screen or in ATP? I wondered if the 1000D just isn't sensitive enough? Or maybe it's LP? I'm really not sure.

Any help much appreciated as always. CW

I got it to work in live view earlier, saw the star @ 10x mag in APT, focused, then by the time I picked a target, the scope was out of focus again. I think that the camera may be too heavy for the Megrez, and is pulling the focusing tube down? :embarassed:

There should be a lock-screw on the focusser to prevent it slipping.

Yes there is a lock screw, but I'm guessing that the focuser tube is a bit loose, as the more vertical the scope is the faster it slips, it's quite difficult to keep an eye on APT, focus and tighten the screw, think I might need an extra pair of hands :icon_scratch:

Focus on the star , lock the focuser carefully then recheck the diff. pattern .

Focus can shift slightly when locking so you may need to "over-focus" to compensate for this.

I always make the last focus adjustment "outwards" to make sure that any backlash is taken up and the focuser has less chance of minute slippage.

Steve.

I'm using USB controlled motor focuser but principal the same for manual focus.

Yes there is a lock screw, but I'm guessing that the focuser tube is a bit loose, as the more vertical the scope is the faster it slips, it's quite difficult to keep an eye on APT, focus and tighten the screw, think I might need an extra pair of hands :icon_scratch:

If your focuser is similar to my ZenithStar you would have two screws one for locking and one that controls the tension. With the help of Allen wrench is possible to increase the tension :) but do not make too tight or the focusing know will not work.

Archived