NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Celestron 20 X 80s

reddoss

I have just ordered a pair of Skymaster 20x80's which I intend to use while waiting for long exposures (10 min) to finish during DSO imaging sessions.

Does anyone have an experience of using these binos ? Are they any good?

PS I have a very sturdy Manfroto tripod for them.

Cheers.

From my location with NELM varying between +5.0 and > +7.0 you can pick out quite a number of DSOs in 10x50 bins :-

In recent months..

M31 / M32 / M110

M33

M81 / 82

M101

M57

M27

M11

M13

M92

M5

M2

- all are easy Autumn targets in 10x50s from here when the conditions are right

Also,

North American Neb was visible (filled the entire FOV) but was not such an easy spot. I found this on a night of superb transparency and I now found it easier to spot now that I know exactly what to look for in the field of view (even when conditions are not the very very best).

They arrived yesterday and managed to get a fleeting look at the moon through a break in the clouds. It was quite an impressive image with not too much CA around the edges of the moon. I am so used to GOTO and imaging it will be interesting to see some wide angle views of DSO's and to learn how to star hop.

• 4 weeks later...

Ive got a pair and on a tripod they are very good for the money. Handheld they are a bit of a nightmare as they are rather heavy. With a bit or practice you can get the balance just right for a quicksweep of the sky, but a tripod turns them into a really useful and enjoyable viewing tool.

The only issue I had was with the sliding attachment for attaching to the tripod. The nurled nut siezed once, so now I keep it well lubed with some mountain bike bearing lube.

Dave.

Archived