SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Farpoint auto collimator

Daniel-K

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

recentered the primary with the cats eye spot, but now when using the Farpoint AC im getting a blackout kind of like a kidney bean in an EP, i checked then double checked before sticking the spot down so im positive its in the right place but now the AC is useless also unscrewed the cap to find the mirror just free floating not even stuck down and the cork its on is utter garbage, i phone call to MA when he reopens is in order

Also the reflections are not all the same orientation when looking through the AC

post-6284-0-13837100-1356268862_thumb.jp

Also the reflections are not all the same orientation when looking through the AC

You should see four center spot reflections:

1- Reflection P is sharp and the only one that does not move when you wiggle the AC.

2- Reflection 1 is somewhat fuzzy and has the same orientation as reflection P

2- Reflection 2 is sharp and reversed with respect to reflection P

3- Reflection 3 is fuzzy and reversed with respect to reflection P. It should be the dimmest one.

In summary, you will see four reflections -- two will be reversed.

Jason

• 2 weeks later...

Some great information in this thread, I'll be joining the queue for the catseye and the new incoming flatfield panels once the festivities are out the way!

Did you get a respnce from MA ? I called him regarding that I'm not sure if it's working as i can only see a couple of reflections, ( could be my eyes but i doubt it) He did say that he was getting onto farpoint for a release in instructions on How To us it. whilst i'm here is this best when the scope is pointing into the sky during the day ? Does the primary have to be spotless coz mine isn't, It's not filthy dirty but it isn't spotless.

Roger

recentered the primary with the cats eye spot, but now when using the Farpoint AC im getting a blackout kind of like a kidney bean in an EP, i checked then double checked before sticking the spot down so im positive its in the right place but now the AC is useless also unscrewed the cap to find the mirror just free floating not even stuck down and the cork its on is utter garbage, i phone call to MA when he reopens is in order

EDIT to last post as wrong quote button pressed

Did you get a respnce from MA ? I called him regarding that I'm not sure if it's working as i can only see a couple of reflections, ( could be my eyes but i doubt it) He did say that he was getting onto farpoint for a release in instructions on How To us it. whilst i'm here is this best when the scope is pointing into the sky during the day ? Does the primary have to be spotless coz mine isn't, It's not filthy dirty but it isn't spotless.

Roger

I'm not sure if it's working as i can only see a couple of reflections,

Four possibilities:

1. The two unseen reflections could be out of view
  2. You do not have enough incoming light to illuminate the center spot enough to show four reflections
  3. The pupil hole is too large to a point that it is causing two reflections to disappear way too prematurely. Is the background dark or bright?
  4. The reflectivity of the autocollimator mirror is poor which is preventing the last two reflections from being seen

If you have a triangle or a Hotspot shaped center spot, can you tell me of the two visible reflections are inverted with respect to each other? Obviously if you have a donut center spot you won't be able to tell.

He did say that he was getting onto farpoint for a release in instructions on How To us it.

Make sure to share these instructions with us.

is this best when the scope is pointing into the sky during the day ?

You can use the autocollimator at home. Point the OTA little off a ceiling light source. Do not point directly at the light source as the glare will be overwhelming. If you point the OTA next to the light source then there will be enough light to illuminate the center spot to show all 4 reflections.

Jason

Daniel, did you have any joy from Bern? I am still awaiting a return call. I appreciate that he was away for xmas though.

Jason, bearing in mind I am using it in a 10" Quattro and following Tim's post about the sight tube, what elemnts of the catseye kit would you say I can benefit from?

I've given up with mine. It looks good in the box though lol. I'm getting the cats eye kit from mike on here he bought it for his 16" but says its over kill for him. Not rang been yet maybe tomorrow whe I've finished work I will give him a call push him to ring farpoint and say that it's Rubbish!

Jason, bearing in mind I am using it in a 10" Quattro and following Tim's post about the sight tube, what elemnts of the catseye kit would you say I can benefit from?

Before answering, let me ask you a question: Other than the Farpoint autocollimator, what other collimation tools do you have?

Hi Jason,

I am currently using a homemade sight tube, which seems to do the job quite well, and a bog standard short cheshire. I also have a laser which I have recollimated and barlow it.

It may well be that just the XLK will do. Your thoughts would be much appreciated.

If you are happy with your homemade sight-tube then there is no need to get the Teletube or the Telecat.

First recommendation: Get Blackcat (cheshire) and Infinity XLK (autocollimator) and re-spot your primary mirror with Hotspot. I included view photos from each tool.

Second recommendation: Get Infinity XLK. You can drop the Blackcat since you have barlowed laser assuming your barlowed laser tool is precise.

Third recommendation: Get Inifinity XL

You do not have to re-spot your primary mirror if you do not feel comfortable going through the steps. Your current donut center spot will work fine. Re-spotting with the Hotspot improves the readability of the autocollimator. In addition, re-spotting will ensure the new spot is dead-center. Again, if you do not feel comfortable re-spotting, do not do it.

Jason

post-5330-0-67688700-1355678102_thumb.jp

post-5330-0-79234500-1355678092_thumb.jp

post-17988-133877464512_thumb.jpg

post-17988-133877464507_thumb.jpg

Cheers Jason.

I think I will get the Centre spot, Blackcat and XLK set up.

Your insight has been invaluable in assessing the Farpoint, or at least mine. As a result of this thread and the links you provided near the start, I feel my understanding of collimation and the various effects of errors, is now much better.

Clear Skies

• 2 weeks later...

heres a update from MA he has made farpoint aware of this thread and heres what there doing

There’s an issue with the pads on the back of the mirror either coming off, being in the wrong place or too high.

FP are making a fibre washer to replace the pads and writing a manual atm, so that should take care of that.

I’ll be checking the ones in stock to see if there’s anything else that needs to be taken care of

• 2 weeks later...

Well Despite the fact that they asked me to contact them directly, It took them 2 weeks of badgering to tell me absolutely nothing!! They had said that they stand by their product and would like to help me out. All I got was the same fibre washer blurb that I had already been told some weeks earlier. I had asked them about the inaccuracy and general build issues, as well as the fact that the reflections disappear very early. None of these issues were responded to.

It seems they are "busy" on a big project. Too busy to deal with an issue they asked to be contacted about. Extremely poor customer service.

I "may" have been unlucky with mine, as it appears others have, but to offer to sort it out then drop it straight away says it all. :mad:

This is one customer they will not have to deal with again.

Sorry to hear about your continued troubles. I am surprised Farpoint did not attend to your inquiries and concerns to avoid negative publicity. After all, this thread is getting attention from the astro community.

At a minimum, I expected Farpoint to provide instructions as you were promised.

Jason

I do not get their apathy either?? It would surely have been a simple thing to offer help/instructions/replacement.

Although I realise that you are not entirely unbiased, Jason, I have to say that the help and insight into autocollimators in general that you have provided in this thread has been very even handed. Fair play to you Sir.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just to let you all know, I finally managed to get a refund from Modern Astronomy. He said he had to remove the pads completely to make it better???!!!

That's what Bern told me to do remove the cork pads. Not that i have done it though. He hasn't/didn't offer me a refund how did you twist his arm for that? . I'm not impressed with this bit of kit & think its a £70 loss, Makes it a expensive ashtray really

Roger

Archived