what else would you recommend ?

so for christmas i am getting my celestron 114eq and every thing that comes in the box , but is there any thing else you would recommend i get ? should i get some extra barlows and if so any recommendations ? or shall i learn to walk first before going nuts on other equipment .

any tips or advice greatly received

scott

Hi Scott, congrats on you purchase, the 114 is a nice scope. On you question about what to purchase next, I would recommend having a play around with the scope first, the eyepieces that come with it won't be first class, but they will be good enough for the time being, and will give you an idea of where you want to go in terms of quality etc, as this is down to experience and personal preference. :icon_santa:

Sound advice Catweazel. Buy new kit when you get the feeling the current kit is limiting you in some way. If you are itching to get more kit, you could get yourself a UHC (ultra-high contrast) filter, which brings out a lot of contrast in emission nebulae such as the Orion Nebula, the Crab Nebula, or the Dumbbell.

My only other comment would be not to look at more barlows, but rather to new eyepieces. I find inserting a barlow interferes more than swapping EPs, so I really only use barlows for planetary imaging. I started out with three EPs (one low, one middle one high magnification) rather than include a Barlow. This collection has since expanded (run out of control, my wife might say) but three (or two and a barlow) is a good start.

thank you all for the advise , i got a PDFs of turn left at Orion and managed to get a gig of PDFs astrology books , just downloading stellarium .

excuse the pun but your all stars

scott

Should that not be astronomy books? People can be a bit sensitive about astronomy being confused with astrology, to put it very mildly :D

1 great addition to your kit would be to get a sheet of Baader solar film and make a filter for Sunspot viewing. Cheap and easy to build and very rewarding to view. Having the option to do daytime as well as night viewing gets more out of the scope. With our weather you will want to get the scope out as much as possible. How many times do we see it clear all day then cloud over just as it's going dark?

Baz.

Should that not be astronomy books? People can be a bit sensitive about astronomy being confused with astrology, to put it very mildly :D

yes sorry , i keep getting them mixed up , sorry :embarassed:

1 great addition to your kit would be to get a sheet of Baader solar film and make a filter for Sunspot viewing. Cheap and easy to build and very rewarding to view. Having the option to do daytime as well as night viewing gets more out of the scope. With our weather you will want to get the scope out as much as possible. How many times do we see it clear all day then cloud over just as it's going dark?

Baz.

thanks , is it some thing i can get from FLO ?

Archived