NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Cleaning EP's

autonm

I just use cotten buds and IPA, Isopropyl alcohol not beer.

Dip one end in the IPA and give the top lens a damn good cleaning all over, then I use a dry cotten bud to clean off the dry residue left Not really had to clean the lens at the bottom.

What you always have to be carful with is to watch for anything that could be tucked around the lens and the rubber that could cause a scratch, not had a problem so far but always be looking out. Best advice is to be careful.

Problem with a wet tissue is they do not get down around the edges of the lens :rolleyes: , but if you are out observing away and the eyepiece gets blurry owing to moisture off of you then be prepared to use a tissue.

I use Baader optical wonder and a micro fibre cloth, but don't over clean them, only when they really need it.

A little story:

I was in Vietnam about 10 years ago, I was checking into a hotel in Ho Chi Min City. There was a guy sitting in the lobby of the Marriot cleaning what was tens of thousands of pounds of very top end film cameras and lenses. He got to the front element of a lens that would have easily cost 10,000 pounds, took off the cap, spat on it then started to clean. I sometimes wonder if they are as delicate as we think, just so long as we are not rubbing grit into them.

Alan.

I use Baader optical wonder and a micro fibre cloth, but don't over clean them, only when they really need it.

A little story:

I was in Vietnam about 10 years ago, I was checking into a hotel in Ho Chi Min City. There was a guy sitting in the lobby of the Marriot cleaning what was tens of thousands of pounds of very top end film cameras and lenses. He got to the front element of a lens that would have easily cost 10,000 pounds, took off the cap, spat on it then started to clean. I sometimes wonder if they are as delicate as we think, just so long as we are not rubbing grit into them.

Alan.

Alan, my bro has a few grand worth of camera lens' and he often just spits on them and uses a hanky or his t-shirt. They're as good as new...

Alan, my bro has a few grand worth of camera lens' and he often just spits on them and uses a hanky or his t-shirt. They're as good as new...

My dad used his spit as a general cleaning fluid too, worked on just about everything. I too think people can be a little over-protective of stuff, providing you don't rub too hard (it's a lens, not a brass rubbing) and use a well-washed clean hanky, it should be fine.

I do give my eyepieces a once-over with the Baader Wonder Fluid and cloth after a long session before they go in the case with the lid shut, I use it on camera lenses too sometimes. My optician tried to sell me special cleaning fluid for my coated glasses, I told her I already had some! :laugh:

A little story:

Alan.

I'd guess he was a professional photographer working for a large press. The chances were the lenses were not his, but his company's. If he didn't pay for it himself, then he probably wouldn't care so much.

Incidentally, Astro-physics' cleaning instruction mentioned using spit as the ultimate solution if Baader fluid fails (step 5).

http://www.astro-physics.com/products/accessories/cleaningproducts/optcs-instructions.pdf

I only clean the eyepiece when it is absolutely necessary. The way I clean the eye lens is similar to how I clean any other optics, but extra caution is needed when I clean the field lens. I only use a blower on the field lens. If necessary and if the eyepiece have a large field lens, I'd use a Lens brush first cleaned with Eclipse (an IPA). However it's best to leave the field lens untouched.

Archived