Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

CCD/DSLR Experiment #6: Stephans Quintet

Uranium235

This lot was captured last night, gloriously clear it was. Shame I had to pack up at midnight with M42 clearly visible in the night sky. It was my first ever attempt at this one, so I thought it best to just chuck a load of 10min subs at it and see what pops out.

Processing and capture was easier this time since there was no need to move the mount, Stephans and NGC7331 fitted well on to the 314 chip but the 1000d needed a fair bit of exposure to get it where I wanted it. A fair few fuzzies in this one :)

Stephans Quintet and NGC 7331 (+ friends)

Luminance: 25x600 (CCD CLS)

Colour: 19x600

ED80 (0.85x), ED80 (f7.5), Atik 314L+, 1000d, NEQ6

Thanks for looking! :)

index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=79570

post-5513-0-10998300-1355271886_thumb.jp

Nice colours, detail and framing also!

Save a load of time (all them calibrations frames) by adding the colour via a DSLR!

Processed (stretched) in...?

Damian

Cheers Damian!

Yeah, its saved a load of time when it comes to capturing the data. But using the DSLR brings its own troubles like taking darks, swapping batteries and getting the colour balance right as there always seems to be some residual redness (more darks required?) in the background which I have to zap using the levels function. The DSLR master was registered against the CCD master using Registar, though maxim could probably do the same except a little more long-winded.

Might give it another go tonight if this fog clears up as forecast, this method seems to work really well on galaxies.

Archived