Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Easy spiral galaxies?

I have seen hints of spiral structure in M51 and M33 using a 10" on good dark nights. Only hints mind. I haven't seen structure with my 6" but at least M51 is quite an easy target once you know where to look and have seen it before.

That matches my experience Rik.

On my first SGL star party I saw lovely structure in M51 with a 12" Skywatcher Skyliner dob. I should have a 12" F/5.3 Orion Optics dob up and running by next years party so I'm hoping to repeat that experience :smiley:

See you there I hope :smiley:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seeing spiral arms is all about having dark skies. I think the most dramatic spiral structure I've seen is M33: 100x, 18", desert skies, at the zenith. The reason it's so striking is because that power produced a 1 degree field of view in my scope and so M33 more or less fills it. So the whole field is galaxy. 5 or so spiral arms, multiple HII regions, etc. Turn up the lights a little and all that vanishes. :(

Dust lanes in the brighter galaxies are, however, fairly easy to spot from more light polluted locales. Those in M31 are fairly easy to spot when you know what you're looking for. Also M104 and NGC 891 are edge on galaxies with nice dust lanes.

It might help if you were absolutely certain the scope was pointing at the right place. You can usually see something of the galaxies if not the spiral arms. Once you know for sure you are on the target, then you can use techniques like averted vision to help you. The more practice you get at spotting and observing faint things, the easier it will become, and dont forget to spend half hour or so dark adapting, dont even use a red light unless it is very very faint.

Or get a camera and see loads of detail :D

Cheers

Tim

Yes it's certainly worth persevering with. It took me some time to spot M101 - and as others have said there are many easier targets which should be possible.

What magnification are you using? Binoculars are often successful in looking for low surface objects as they give a low power high contrast field which will help to lift the object from the background sky. A magnification around x30ish would be good with your setup unless you have town centre type pollution. Have you found the crab nebulae? That is a good object as a test - if your skies permit you to see M1 then most of the brighter DSO should be accessible.

andrew

I spotted some spiral structure in M51, and even M101 showed some with my 8" SCT from a good site. I would love to use a really big scope from a really good site. The clearest spiral structure I have see was in M33, bot with my 80mm and with the 8" from a very good site.

I have managed spiral structure in M51 from a dark sky site in the Lincolnshire wolds with a 4 inch refractor when Ursa Major was much higher in the sky this Summer

Archived