NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Beginner Binoculars

I am needing some advice on some binoculars. I am wanting to use them as my first telescope before I get into higher magnification. I have heard a lot about 7x50 and 10x50 even 7x35. I have heard many pros and cons for all of them. I just need some advice on which would be the best and brands. I am also not wanting to break the bank on these. I am looking at $150 or so for them. Thanks!

I just got myself a pair of 10x50 for an amount equal to $50. First impressions are very good, however I could use a few more clear nights to try them out ;) Brand is an inhouse brand of one of our local hardware stores.

Nice. I will try to scout my local stores and try to take a gander at the local pawn shops as well.

When worked at the RGO (Royal Greenwich Observatory) one of the guys from the optics department said that you should choose 7x50 because the exit beam (50/7=7mm) was equal to the eye pupil diameter when it is dark. I have since learnt that this i true for younger people, older people have smaller pupil diameters. However I have a set of 7x50 and they are impressive on a dark sky.

When worked at the RGO (Royal Greenwich Observatory) one of the guys from the optics department said that you should choose 7x50 because the exit beam (50/7=7mm) was equal to the eye pupil diameter when it is dark. I have since learnt that this i true for younger people, older people have smaller pupil diameters. However I have a set of 7x50 and they are impressive on a dark sky.

7x50's are the ones that I have heard the most about just wanted to make sure before I made a purchase. Thanks!!

7x50's are the ones that I have heard the most about just wanted to make sure before I made a purchase. Thanks!!

The other thing is that 50s have more light gathering power than 35s. Which is important.

The other thing is that 50s have more light gathering power than 35s. Which is important.

Ya I think they have 10x's the light gathering if I remember right. From what I have looked at Orion has a nice pair of 7x50's for under $100. I trust good brands such as these and I hope they work out. They will probably be a nice birthday present for myself in a couple of months. But if I can find a similar used pair that are not beat up I am going to go with them.

A lot of the cheaper range of binoculars manufactured to-day use BAK-7 prisms and there are less coatings on the objectives to allow maximum light transmission, if you can find a reasonably priced pair in the 7x50 or 10x50 range which have BAK-4 prisms and good multi coated optics in the specification, you will be well on your way to achieving what you want, even a s/h pair with a good spec, sourced from your Cloudy Nights forum, maybe a better investment than buying cheap new ones :)

John.

Ya I think they have 10x's the light gathering if I remember right. From what I have looked at Orion has a nice pair of 7x50's for under $100. I trust good brands such as these and I hope they work out. They will probably be a nice birthday present for myself in a couple of months. But if I can find a similar used pair that are not beat up I am going to go with them.

I get a light gathering power 50x better than eyes assuming 7mm pupil and 2x better than 35mm objectives. You just compare the areas.

A lot of the cheaper range of binoculars manufactured to-day use BAK-7 prisms and there are less coatings on the objectives to allow maximum light transmission, if you can find a reasonably priced pair in the 7x50 or 10x50 range which have BAK-4 prisms and good multi coated optics in the specification, you will be well on your way to achieving what you want, even a s/h pair with a good spec, sourced from your Cloudy Nights forum, maybe a better investment than buying cheap new ones :)

John.

Thank you. I looked through cloudynights classifieds and found some but it gave me good information on some cheaper but quality binos. I found Gemini 10x50 LW that have the BAK-4 prisms and is under $80!

Archived