Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M42 - Bi-colour - First light 314L+ Work-in-Progress

Gina

First light for Atik 314L+ with 3nm OIII filter and EFW2 filter wheel :)

Not quite bi-colour yet because I've forgotten how to do it in PS :( But here are the mono versions of the Ha and OIII. ED80 plus 314L+ with Astrodon 5nm Ha and 3nm OIII filters. 8 Ha and 7 OIII 2m lights stacked in DSS and processed in PS. That's all I got before the clouds rolled in. I took 25 pairs of short exposures (10s) but DSS won't stack them - can't find any stars even at the minimum setting. The subs looked fine.

post-13131-0-17910000-1355070643_thumb.ppost-13131-0-02403500-1355070686_thumb.p

Hmm... This needs more work :D It's too red. There's colour fringing round the stars so I guess I haven't got the whites balanced between Ha and OIII. The gear is great - the processing needs a lot more practice IMO.

I have no idea how to combine that sort of stuff Gina but i'm going to need to learn when my new camera turns up. And i cant wait! Have you looked into PixInsight ?

DSS is a pain when it wont see stars even at the highest detection setting, it's a problem I am having with my close up shots too.

I use Nebulosity 3.0 as a workaround if DSS just wont play.

M42 is sooooo bright in Ha that it makes it very tricky to combine with other filters Gina. It would look great added to the red channel of a shot with your dslr though :)

I have no idea how to combine that sort of stuff Gina but i'm going to need to learn when my new camera turns up. And i cant wait! Have you looked into PixInsight ?

Well, I'm certainly learning :D No, I haven't looked at PI yet.

I had a go last night with this method,

http://www.starrywon...chniquenew.html

took me ages and was not happy with it,but i think I had saturated it with too much Ha having said that I will try again

Thank you :) I'll have a go at that method - looks very interesting :) I thought my processing method was too simple and that I should do something to get more colours ino the image. Red and turquoise are rather crude looking.

DSS is a pain when it wont see stars even at the highest detection setting, it's a problem I am having with my close up shots too.

I use Nebulosity 3.0 as a workaround if DSS just wont play.

M42 is sooooo bright in Ha that it makes it very tricky to combine with other filters Gina. It would look great added to the red channel of a shot with your dslr though :)

Yes, I'll try adding Ha to my DSLR colour image :) I guess the 10s subs for the core were just too short.

That's looking better for sure Gina.

I still struggle with narrowband combinations, PixInsight is great but it can be too complicated sometimes, although narrowband combination in Photoshop seems to be tricky enough too.

I guess we all find a way that works and stick to it.

If you want me to see what bicolour looks like from PixInsight let me know and we can see if it makes an improvement or not. I think I've finally got to grips with pixelmath and narrowband in Pixinsight.

Anton

That looks much better than my attempt with same tech,different object though

Took me hours as well and did not get anything worth posting, looked a bit like a 70's swirl for Top of the Pops

so I went and did 5 hours of S2 lasat night instead :grin:

There must be an easier way I would think

anybody?

Steve

Archived