Telescope Advice

Hey guys im,new to astronomy and I have a telescope that my parents got me its a Skywatcher Heritage 76, very cool but i have to like hold in my hand to view the stars.. So I was wondering if anybody knows where i can get a suitable stand or tripod for it a tall one so i can sit on a chair and view the stars, mt parents will get me it for Christmas thanx for your time.. blue_ash

Hi blue_ash and welcome to SGL.

I'm not sure on exactly how to fasten the 76 on a tripod. They usually come with a small dobson mount meant to place on a table. You're saying you dont have the table mount for it anymore?

If you're unsure, maybe you could take some pictures of it and upload and we could have a look at what you're left with.

It's a tricky one to answer as the cost of your scope new here (including the tabletop dobsonian mount) is £50 which is probably less for a tripod and some tube rings etc. You could try putting a 'wanted' add on the 'UK Astronomy Buy & Sell' site here for an EQ2 equatorial mount like this one or for an AZ3 Alt-Azimuth mount like this one. They are around £100 new and represent an entry level mount but you might be able to get into contact with an experienced observer who might have something like this hanging around (...be it a bit older) from when they first started in astronomy and who might offer it to you at a give away price - you can only try. Apart from that I'm not sure what to advise.

Clear skies

James

The 76mm is a table top stand scope, by what you are describing you appear to be holding the unit in your hand to observe, when it should be sat on a table, or, are you meaning you have the scope without its base unit ? Either way to purchase a new tripod/mount is going to cost more than the scope value. Then there is the problem of mounting the tube assembly, I suppose a quick and cheap DIY method would be to use such as Nylon tie wraps to affix a short dovetail bar to the tube which would in turn attach to such entry level mounts which have been mentioned. If you just want to hold the scope steady, try the old fashioned method of using an up turned yard broom with a cloth over the broom head, often use by people using binoculars, believe you me it will be a lot cheaper solution, If your interest grows, which I hope it does, then your next step would be to save your money and invest in such as a Dobsonian and work up from there, enjoy your Astronomy :)

John.

Hello everyone I too am new to Stargazers. I currrently have 3 Meade telescope 1) NGC 60 2)70AZ-ADR 3)DS114EC. As you can see i amm working my way up. I have been researching in advance of purchase both the 10 and 12 inch Lightbridge.Any comments pro or con will be greatly appericated.

Mark

simple unscrew the knob to remove telescope from dobson mount then screw [removed word] back into telescope , you then buy from ebay a 3/6inch to quarter inch witworth adapter approx cost £2 this was for use with medium format cameras which have a bigger tripod mount this little adapter screws into the thread on the front of the knob you can now attach the telescope to a standard camera tripod , although a decent tripod cost the same as the telescope ! I can fit both into a small backpack

Hi Blue_ash and welcome to the SGL. For those reading this thread and not familiar with his scope, this

gives a demonstration of its use. But be aware of the fine print on the video at the start of the image examples. Just how well this scope works on the objects shown is something I'd like to see.

Maybe you can sell it on E-bay or somewhere else and get a similar priced scope that will be much easier to use and perform much better. I'm sure your parents meant well but not being familiar with telescopes, you ended up with one that can be a pain to use.

I hope the above suggestions will help you out if you decide to keep the scope.

Hey many thanx for your replies : )..

Yeah so by the way i'm 13 so i cant buy one for myself and parents wont spend too much money on one.. You are rite it did come with a stand, ( im not sure what things are called and the correct names of things ) but when viewing the stars i have to put it on the garden table and bend down and end up moving the table all over the garden lol..

So would prefer a tripod, robert_I, has good suggesting even thou i dont really understand how to do what he say, but Eastridge very good idea about the gas lift bar from argos i will defiantly do that

Many thanx for your time people.. : )

blue_ash

Archived