NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Flats and weather rant !!!

kirkster501

Tonight got 40 x 150 sec exposures of M31 and they are all good with nice round stars etc. I then Got to end of my darks. Was just about to start flats and only needed 5 mins more and heavens opened. Had to rip everything up and get it into garage. So all that data and No flats :( So I tried to set up in garage but camera had slightest rotated on the FR/FF so I assume will not align with the data properly.

Is it worth me using my flats from the other night do you think? Surely better than nothing and worth a go?

Rgds, Steve

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Plan.... Take some more flats the best you can or use the old ones. Nothing to loose either way. I know you're not supposed to move anything but now you have just give it a go.

The alternative is no flats.

Dave.

The replacement flats do not work. Aaaarrrrgggghhhhhhhhhhh!!!! :mad: They do not align with the lights and so do not cancel out properly. Well, what a waste, other than for the experience! One go at flats and I am completely converted and on message - they make the world of difference to images I have found.

They really should work for vignetting if the camera is rotated at roughly the same angle. I only take flats about once every few months - I just make sure the camera is on the scope each night at what, by eye, looks the same angle. Dust bunnies are a different matter, but my 1000D never has any (has some auto cleaning thing for the sensor which seems to do a fantastic job).

NigelM

Hi Rob,

There is a flats tool in the APT software.

What I do is put a white T shirt over the front of my scope and smooth it out so there are no wrinkles. Then I get a pure white screen up on my iPad - o as near to white as possible (email gives a nice white screen) and put it on top of the T-shirt and hold it there by hand. Then I fire the APT flats profile off and grab 20 or so in two mins. It seems to work well. Not sure what the experts would say.

Rgds, Steve

You are welcome :). Of course, it goes without saying that the iPad needs to cover the end of the scope - which is easy with a 3-4 inch refractor. With a large SCT or Newtonian the iPad woudl not be big enough to cover the front of the scope.... You would have to experiment if you have that setup - maybe it woudl still work...

I am a new found flats enthusiast. I wondered what it was all about until I started to take pictures without them. The flats get rid of imperfections, smudges and marks (within reason) in the imaging train just brilliantly.

I am a beginner AP'er myself so my ideas could be just none-sense of course!

Steve

It's one huge learning curve so I'm just trying to get as much info before I get my imaging setup. I'm looking to get the ed80 st80 piggyback so I think my iPad would fully fit.

I've also got to think about wether to keep or sell my current setup, 200p on a EQ5.

Rob.

The 200p is meant to be a super scope for AP. Indeed, its an option I am considering for deeper views.

The ED80/ST80 combo is excellent and was recommended to me by giants such as Olly and Steve Richards. You won't be disappointed !!!

Archived