NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Next ep.

Mr Fiery Jack

All Nagler once said we only need 3 eyepieces to cover everything, perhaps 4, he added as a caveat. After a bit of a slim down in EPs', mostly to fund a few modest TeleVues' I have now a vast collection of 3, a 32mm TV plossil and 2 Radians, 14mm and 6mm ones. And so on to the question. Which ep would you buy as Al' Nagler's decadent fourth ep? My scopes are a 10 inch 00 4.8fl Dobsonian and a SW ED100 which I fitted with a Moonlight, a lovely scope I feel.

If 4 is decadent, what would Al make of the 8 eyepieces I have :undecided:

Personally I'd add something around the 8mm mark to the 3 that you have. That would give you a useful mid-high power option.

All Nagler once said we only need 3 eyepieces to cover everything, perhaps 4, he added as a caveat. After a bit of a slim down in EPs', mostly to fund a few modest TeleVues' I have now a vast collection of 3, a 32mm TV plossil and 2 Radians, 14mm and 6mm ones. And so on to the question. Which ep would you buy as Al' Nagler's decadent fourth ep? My scopes are a 10 inch 00 4.8fl Dobsonian and a SW ED100 which I fitted with a Moonlight, a lovely scope I feel.

Obviously he has changed his mind. Nowadays he meant we need 3 eyepiece series to cover everything. Delos, Ethos, and Naglers. Panoptics can be added as a caveat. :D

I think you can use a 31 Nagler for a bit of extra wide field.

I would go for around the 8mm mark, there may be conditions/situations where your 6mm is not usable when and 8mm is.

Think that you need 4 and that 3 is likely one too few. Caused by the fact that at the high magnification ehd it is quite possible that the highest power one is unusable whereas one a little less on magnification would deliver good views. So 2 at the high mag end, 1 medium and 1 low power.

I would go for around the 8mm mark, there may be conditions/situations where your 6mm is not usable when and 8mm is.

Think that you need 4 and that 3 is likely one too few. Caused by the fact that at the high magnification ehd it is quite possible that the highest power one is unusable whereas one a little less on magnification would deliver good views. So 2 at the high mag end, 1 medium and 1 low power.

I would say you are probably right, 8mm it is. I can always upgrade the plossl later on perhaps, its stood me in good stead this far though.

Archived