Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Saturn

jason.p

The last couple of mornings I've been out at around 6.30 to look at Venus. According to Stellarium, Saturn is quite close but so far I've failed to spot it. I've seen what I believe is Mercury down to the Eastern horizon and Spica off to the SW. I am guessing that Saturn is faint and lost in the glow from Venus. When is the best time to look at Saturn?

Thanks

Jason

Hello Jason.

I've just a quick look on sky safari for you and it seems like 09:15 is probably the best. But as you say, it is close to Venus so you may struggle. On Monday 3rd December it is further away from Venus so there's a chance you'll be able to single it out without any interference from Venus! These times are between 7:45 and 9:15. Just skipped through first week of December and it's getting further away! So morning time after Sunday/Monday would be fine.

If you do have any luck let us know! Saturn is next on my list but there's no way I could get Saturn at that time. Too low in the sky for where I live sadly!

I hope that's helped you.

Tom.

Just gone to Friday 7th December and looks a nice height over towards SE at about 7:40am and SSE at 8:40am. Hopefully the weather will be good for then! :o

Thanks for that Tom. I've put the dates in my "astro" diary. Lets hope we get a clear bit of sky :smiley: Still, as is often said, it's not going to go away, there will be many other opportunities.

Jason

Saturn is quite dim compared to Venus, but is slightly brighter than first magnitude and I've spotted it a couple of mornings this week when I've got up (just before 6). That extra little bit of darkness at 6 helps a fair bit too. Give it another couple of weeks and it'll be a couple of degrees higher at the same time, but into January we'll start to lose it again as the days lengthen :(

Could see Venus near to Saturn low in the sky on the drive home from my nightshift on Wednesday 28th at 7am, Got home and set up in the garden but could only just make them out through the trees to my south. With the scope on Saturn I could make out the rings to confirm it but with the trees moving about in my it wasn't the best of views. By the time it was high enough it was too bright for me to see anything of Saturn. I've got next week off so may have an early trip out to one of our groups dark sites with a lower southern horizon, after the little taster last week it will be good to get a proper look at Saturn/ Venus again and hopefully bag Mercury :)

Archived