NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Artemis Capture

Coco

I'm on a netbook, I seem to have completely lost the 'Exposure Settings' window, the view menu and button seem to make no difference :(

It all seemed to have started after I connected up a larger screen. Everything else works fine now the screen is removed, the default screen res ..everything?

Temp

Filter Wheel

display

tracking

all switch on and off but no exposure?

Any ideas?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll post this in case someone else searches the site for the same problem..

Thanks to Robbie Ince, did a search on C: drive for Artemis's .ini file, deleted it and restarted Artemis, worked a treat.

What happened was because a used a larger remote screen the capture program wrote into the ini file a new resolution, don't ask

me why all the other Temp ,Filter Wheel ,display , tracking are not effected but that's computers for you ;)

Thanks Rob :headbang:

Great post since I had exactly the same issue with my attempt to use Artemis Capture on a Netbook and was pulling my hair out - I gave up in the end & went back to my trusty laptop. The whole idea though was to leave the cheapo Netbook set-up outside exposed to the elements (although it's inside a plastic box, but there will still be moisture & freezing cold) rather than my expensive laptop. I'll try the process that Rob has suggested above with my Netbook to see if it resolves the matter - thanks

Great post since I had exactly the same issue with my attempt to use Artemis Capture on a Netbook and was pulling my hair out - I gave up in the end & went back to my trusty laptop. The whole idea though was to leave the cheapo Netbook set-up outside exposed to the elements (although it's inside a plastic box, but there will still be moisture & freezing cold) rather than my expensive laptop. I'll try the process that Rob has suggested above with my Netbook to see if it resolves the matter - thanks

Yep sorted it out and boy am I glad.. :)

Hmm... Very interesting! :) I'm going to be using Artemis Capture on a netbook and tend to use two different resonutions - 1024x600 netbook screen and my warm room monitor of 1280x1024. I do also have a desktop in the warm room which I only use with a 1280x1024 monitor. Both computers run XP.

Collected Atik 314L+ from Martin-Devon this morming and have installed Artemis Capture and the Atik Driver on my EEEPC netbook. I've just been doing some tests on the dining room table :D

Well, I'm running Artemis Capture on the netbook's own screen and it's fine - OK so you can't see the whole of the image on the small screen height but it'll do. I have the camera running and using the Loop mode with an SLR lens held up to the 1.25" adapter on the camera I have seen an image of our boundary fence, much magnified :)

Very pleased so far :) Now need some clear night skies to put it on my scope!

Collected Atik 314L+ from Martin-Devon this morming and have installed Artemis Capture and the Atik Driver on my EEEPC netbook. I've just been doing some tests on the dining room table :D

Well, I'm running Artemis Capture on the netbook's own screen and it's fine - OK so you can't see the whole of the image on the small screen height but it'll do. I have the camera running and using the Loop mode with an SLR lens held up to the 1.25" adapter on the camera I have seen an image of our boundary fence, much magnified :)

Very pleased so far :) Now need some clear night skies to put it on my scope!

Your going to love Artemis capture.. its simple and easy to use..

Yes, looks very good :) Have it running with my 17" monitor in the warm room now and it's fine. I've put the camera on the scope (ED80) and been trying to find the focal plane :D Tried on Jupiter but no joy. Then the clouds came over so I pointed the scope at a security light on a distant hill and found that. But it's raining now so I've packed it in for now. Been playing with the exposure and using Loop. Bit different from live view with a DSLR :D Also been playing with the display controls. There's a lot of controls in Artemis :)

I think I might do a rough focus in the daytime tomorrow on distant trees and houses. I should have done that today but didn't think of it. With the scope pointing at the horizon it doesn't matter how far out of focus it is, one half is black and the other white with a grey area in between. I found I needed the 100mm extension tube to get anywhere near focus so no wonder i couldn't see anything of Jupiter - it was way out of focus with a 50mm tube.

The more I use it the more I like the Artemis Capture software :) Been playing with the scope pointed at the far hill with the A30 to get focus somewhere near so that I can be in "the right ball park" when I point it at the stars or Jupiter. The display zoom feature is very nice for fine focussing. The resolution is much the same as with my 1100D which it should be because the pixel size is much the same. The focus is very critical when zoomed in to show the pixels. The atmospheric effects are clear too with the image moving about a bit (by a pixel or so) and the focus coming and going). The range is about a mile.

I'm getting the EFW2 filter wheel next then I can at least use the 1 NB filter I have with ease. If LRGB or other NB filters turn up in the meantime I shall be ready :)

I set Artemis to save as TIFF files (or so I thought) but it's saved as FIT files and I don't seem to have anything to read them :( I thought PS did but it comes up with an error message saying it can't read this type of file.

I set Artemis to save as TIFF files (or so I thought) but it's saved as FIT files and I don't seem to have anything to read them :( I thought PS did but it comes up with an error message saying it can't read this type of file.

CCD's tend to output FITS. DSS will read FITS.

CCD's tend to output FITS. DSS will read FITS.

Thank you :) Yes, I thought DSS would read FITS. Anyway, I found how to set AC to save as TIFF. Are FITS files better or just an alternative?

Although I don't use it myself there's the free software FITS Liberator which allows you to go straight into Photoshop, I believe.

(It always makes me laugh, that name. It conjours up imaginary WW2 pilots like Charlie Fitz-Liberator, busy dropping French Resistance fighters onto [removed word] occupied France in the dead of night... )

Olly

Oh, you can't mention the party headed by A Hitler on SGL. Not impressed.

I don't know if my problem is Artemis or something else but here's my tale of woe... I've got the dreaded "Can't find camera" error fron Artemis. I've tried everything. Powered down, removed and replaced USB. Rebooted computer. Now I'm stuck :(

A nice clear night here and I've been checking things out.

It's been a very frustrating evening. Eventually got 314L+ aligned with finder and mount set up by imaging on Jupiter. In fact during the evening I've had to realign the mount several times due to ASCOM failure. I had the Atik lined up nicely on M33 and started looking at doing an imaging run. Tried 30s subs but found these a bit short so tried 60s but tracking wasn't good enough so started up PHD and set it calibrating. That went wrong and the mount started slewing. That meant restarting absolutely everything including aligning the mount to Jupiter again. However, even with the scope aligned to Jupiter the pointing was out when over the other side of the sky so maybe I've got mount problems :( Anyway, I powered down and rebooted the netbook but now Artemis Capture won't connect to the camera :(

I really don't know what to do now other than switch everything off and pack up for the night. I guess I could put the 1100D back on and see if I can get something out of the night. Or do some wide-field imaging.

Fixed it :)

Not using windows 7 by chance? I NEVER had ascom failures or artemis picking up camera issues with XP, now I get randomn mount missing in PHD, EQMOD half starting, ATIK not found etc.. .. come daylight the little netbooks going back in the obs ;)

Hmm.. I'm not a windows expert - although moving VM with Win7 reminded me why I hate kernel level drivers on windows.. After a complete fresh install etc I now leave the VM alone..

It's clear out.. I'm tired so I've been adding some ye-olde 16ic loving to the OSX drivers.. I should be able to post up a video shortly with all four cameras running on OSX natively - sure we can't tempt you to the dark side ;)

Not using windows 7 by chance? I NEVER had ascom failures or artemis picking up camera issues with XP, now I get randomn mount missing in PHD, EQMOD half starting, ATIK not found etc.. .. come daylight the little netbooks going back in the obs ;)

No I'm using XP on an EEEPC netbook which I got from Morgans for about a ton :) Great little machine :) I'm using a 17" monitor (1280x1024) rather than it's own 10" screen though.

The Artemis Capture software is running fine now and so is PHD. I'm currently on the Horses Head with an Astrodon Ha filter and running 5 minute subs. I'll see how that looks and I might go up to 10m subs. Only trouble is, with all the problems I'm rather late starting and I don't think I'll risk letting it run all night with the roof open unattended. Just have to see how long I can keep awake :D

No I'm using XP on an EEEPC netbook with 10" screen which I got from Morgans for about a ton :) Great little machine :)

The Artemis Capture software is running fine now and so is PHD. I'm currently on the Horses Head with an Astrodon Ha filter and running 5 minute subs. I'll see how that looks and I might go up to 10m subs. Only trouble is, with all the problems I'm rather late starting and I don't think I'll risk letting it run all night with the roof open unattended. Just have to see how long I can keep awake :D

Nasty Moon on its way too ... I'm off to bed with 5 hours of OSC in the bag :D

Just hope my star navigation instinct has centred IC410 properly :eek:

I called it a day after capturing 12 5m subs of horsey. An hour's data isn't too bad for a start. Be very interesting to see how it stacks up :)

5 hours of OSC sounds very nice :)

Archived