Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Question about Xbox live cam...

stonemonkeylives

OK for some reason if got it into my head that I wouldn't be able to do any planetary imaging with the above webcam and my telescope, which is a Skywatcher 130p Supatrak (f/5). Am I right in thinking this or am I being an idiot....again? I just don't seem to be having any joy with my modded cam and Sharpcap. Thank you in advance.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

OK for some reason if got it into my head that I wouldn't be able to do any planetary imaging with the above webcam and my telescope, which is a Skywatcher 130p Supatrak (f/5). Am I right in thinking this or am I being an idiot....again? I just don't seem to be having any joy with my modded cam and Sharpcap. Thank you in advance.

Although I don't have your scope, I have an Astromaster 130EQ it has the same aperture. It's definately possible to capture Jupiter, and Saturn with the Xbox livecam - I have a few images on here. The only downside I found is that they seem to only be grey rather than colour, however it's a good first start. I've since moved on to the Philips SPC900 and have reasonable results with that aperture - obviously not fantastic detail, but you can see the bands and the great red spot. I take it that once you've captured the avi you run it through Registax - or similar? That is what brings out the details.

I have just ordered one after finding this link. The xbox cam apparently has a ccd sensor therefore suitable for viewing. Check this link out there is stacks of info about the xbox cam.

Will it work with your scope. Yes, for lunar and briget planetary imaging. It might be worth looking at a 4x or 5x powermate (expensive) or an imagemate (bit cheaper) to increase size of image.

Hope this helps

Marc

Although I don't have your scope, I have an Astromaster 130EQ it has the same aperture. It's definately possible to capture Jupiter, and Saturn with the Xbox livecam - I have a few images on here. The only downside I found is that they seem to only be grey rather than colour, however it's a good first start. I've since moved on to the Philips SPC900 and have reasonable results with that aperture - obviously not fantastic detail, but you can see the bands and the great red spot. I take it that once you've captured the avi you run it through Registax - or similar? That is what brings out the details.

I have seen some results (sorry can remember where) of some great images using xbox cam with good contrast and colour. Takes time and practice to play with capture and processing settings.

If like me you are a novice at imaging. You can practice your processing skills without even having to capture anything.

http://www.skyimaging.com/astronomy-videos.php

Just download and process away.

I see no reason why it wouldn't work, but the images will probably be quite small unless you have a 2x or 3x barlow to add. Easier to get the hang of it without the barlow first though. You will need to get the planet nicely centred in your shortest focal length eyepiece before going for the camera (best if you already have that ready and SharpCap running if your mount isn't motorised). Then push the gain, brightness and exposure well up in SharpCap and if the image is on the sensor then you should be able to see it even if it's a fair way out of focus. Bring it back to focus and then set the controls back to a more "normal" position before worrying about capturing data.

James

Thank you guys, I'm probably just being a bit impatient with it, I've not tried the cam with my 2x Barlow yet so I'll give that ago next time I'm out. I had read somewhere that because of the chip size it was roughly the same as a 6mm EP, so I was a little confused why I could see it with my 2x Barlow and my 10mm EP (effectively 5mm if I'm not mistaken) but not through Sharpcap with the cam. But I will try the suggestions given.

sent from Gherkin Muncher mk .III (commonly known as a Galaxy S2)

I'm really not sure how helpful, if at all, the "6mm eyepiece" thing is. When I first read it I don't really think it did anything other than confuse me and I don't even consider it now.

Quite possibly the issue is that the camera sensor is little more than 4mm x 3mm which means you need to get the image central fairly accurately or you just won't get it on the chip at all. I use a cheap illuminated reticle eyepiece to centre the image with my Mak. I imagine that having a wider field of view the 130P will be a little more forgiving.

James

Archived