NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

New Scope & DSO Photography

Saw a post over on POTN that y'all could help me out.

Been wanting a Scope for a long time and the timing has never been right.

So I was out the other night with my 5D Mark II, Tripod, and Remote Trigger. Took a few Lights and Darks for Deep Sky Stacker to chew. Had a great time. Learned I haven't used my remote enough! ha! but seriously, it was a ton of fun to be out under the stars.(and got a few games of Chess in)

So after hours of talking with the banker (aka Wife) and reading & reading & reading I've pretty much determine that I might be able to squeak into the hobby for under $1000. Scope, Mount, Motor, Adapters, etc etc.

My question is what would you all recommend? I know the answer in this case is usually "I recommended you seek the nearest Astronomy club!" which is a fair and just answer. (Was the same answer I got when I got into RC Airplanes haha...SEEK CLUB!).

So help me get the ball rolling and I will probably follow up with more NEWB questions =) but eventually become more educated what NOT to buy. Because frankly there is a LOT OF STUFF I could buy! Like someone else said, there is relationship between the amount of stars you see and the amount of astronomy equipment you can purchase =)

Cheers,

Jason

The single most important purchase you can make, that will save you money in the long run, is the book 'Making Every Photon Count' by Steve Richards. You can buy it directly from him (He's Steppenwolf on SGL) or through First Light Optics in their book section. It really does explain stuff you need and why you need it and is absolutely invaluable for people starting out imaging DSO's.

The general recommendation on here for a starters kit is something like and ED80 and an HEQ5 - It is as much a plug and play solution as you are likely to ever find in DSO imaging. THE single most important thing in your imaging kit is your mount, if nothing else, do not scrimp on a mount. With an inadequate mount you will struggle to keep things steady and so your images will suffer.

For example - FLO sell the HEQ5 and ED80 bundled http://www.firstligh...o-heq5-pro.html then you would need a reducer http://www.firstligh...l-reducers.html ( I say this early on as you are imaging with a 35mm chip) and this as a means of connection http://www.firstligh...ng-adapter.html

You know that the budget will not stop with the scope and mount though, right? I personally think that you will need a reducer from the off, using such a large chipped camera. Most people use the smaller APS sensors for AP. There's a whole heap of other stuff that while not important at this stage you will probably want to buy should the bug really bite.

Take it slowly, ask lots of questions and get the book - Then make your purchase.

Hope that helps.

would agree wholeheartedly with above comments. The only thing i would add is that if you could stretch budget to an NEQ6

mount you would be future proof as the carrying capacity is larger and would accomodate heavier scopes in the future

when you upgrade. you note i said when not if LOL

Be prepared for a permanently empty wallet if you are decided on coming to the dark side of astrophotography

Velvet

It's a tough ask under a 1000 dollars for a mount and scope suitable for imaging. Over here we reckon on the heq5 and skywatcher ed80 as being the cheapest best option. Over there it will be something like that or the orion sirius which I think is the same mount rebadged. If you want to get both for under a grand you may have to go second user. Cloudy nights I believe has a classified section and there is astro buy sell usa

It's a tough ask under a 1000 dollars for a mount and scope suitable for imaging. Over here we reckon on the heq5 and skywatcher ed80 as being the cheapest best option. Over there it will be something like that or the orion sirius which I think is the same mount rebadged. If you want to get both for under a grand you may have to go second user. Cloudy nights I believe has a classified section and there is astro buy sell usa

Great & Thank you!! I'm going to sign up. I realize under 1K for DSO could lead to SIGH & GRON moments and hence reaching out to as many sources as possible before purchasing. I pretty good about researching the hell out of things so whatever I end up with I'm sure I won't be unhappy.

Some great tips in this thread. Let me just underline the importance of the mount. I looked at the CG-5 and the EQ-5 first, but realised I would probably wan't to upgrade pretty soon and went for the EQ-6 instead.

With that being said, you can still do a lot of good with the EQ-5, it's just not quite as sturdy and it won't carry as heavy scopes as the 6.

Velvet and Swag I could not agree more and thank you for the advice. From all that I have read the mount is paramount!!! Otherwise I'm going to get discouraged and frankly I would rather spend a little more and enjoy then cheap out and just get frustrated as heck.

I've reached out to the local club as well. I'm sure I'll get flooded with information in the beginning. Reminds me when I started Storm Chasing here on the plains. Forecasting and setup are key! and holy cow the books and information! =)

Velvet and Swag I could not agree more and thank you for the advice. From all that I have read the mount is paramount!!! Otherwise I'm going to get discouraged and frankly I would rather spend a little more and enjoy then cheap out and just get frustrated as heck.

I've reached out to the local club as well. I'm sure I'll get flooded with information in the beginning. Reminds me when I started Storm Chasing here on the plains. Forecasting and setup are key! and holy cow the books and information! =)

Not to forget you could spend your budget on the NEQ6 and start imaging right away with your 5d and Canon lenses connected to the mount. This would get you into imaging while you save/decide on the best OTA.

Good luck with the purchase.

Not to forget you could spend your budget on the NEQ6 and start imaging right away with your 5d and Canon lenses connected to the mount. This would get you into imaging while you save/decide on the best OTA.

Good luck with the purchase.

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-mounts/skywatcher-neq6-pro-synscan.html

Wow! Now that's a nice mount! (That's what she said! ok ok, that was terrible).

Great point whooshbang. I had thought about that as well.

I've seen some really nice work done with a http://www.astrotrac.com/ (AstroTrac) but at the end of the day, I know I'm going to want a Telescope. DSO photography sure, but just be able to sit out under the stars spying on martians..I mean..looking up is where it's at.

Be prepared for a permanently empty wallet if you are decided on coming to the dark side of astrophotography

HAHA INDEED! I need to start counting grass as a hobby. However I'm sure that's expensive at some point as well!

http://www.firstligh...ro-synscan.html

Wow! Now that's a nice mount! (That's what she said! ok ok, that was terrible).

Great point whooshbang. I had thought about that as well.

I've seen some really nice work done with a http://www.astrotrac.com/ (AstroTrac) but at the end of the day, I know I'm going to want a Telescope. DSO photography sure, but just be able to sit out under the stars spying on martians..I mean..looking up is where it's at.

The NEQ6 is really "the" mount unless of course you have another £5000 spare for the next best thing up the ladder.

I too have seen awesome stuff with the AstroTrac but like you say, it would be nice to Observe now and then and buying the heavy duty mount will allow you chuck a big Reflector on it for visual, a nice 80mm APO and your 5d with lenses for imaging.

The NEQ6 is really "the" mount unless of course you have another £5000 spare for the next best thing up the ladder.

I too have seen awesome stuff with the AstroTrac but like you say, it would be nice to Observe now and then and buying the heavy duty mount will allow you chuck a big Reflector on it for visual, a nice 80mm APO and your 5d with lenses for imaging.

Looking across the pond here and I can't seem to find that mount (well I check B&H and Amazon where I buy all my Camera gear). However, I did find it on that one site over there, so I have a baseline of information.

Do you have any experience with a Barndoor? I was looking at that as a nice cheap option. Seen some limited success with it.

AHHH The 5D. Some days I really miss that 1.6x crop :/ but then again, I love the Full Frame =) For Storm Chasing, Full Frame is where it's at!

Looking across the pond here and I can't seem to find that mount (well I check B&H and Amazon where I buy all my Camera gear). However, I did find it on that one site over there, so I have a baseline of information.

Do you have any experience with a Barndoor? I was looking at that as a nice cheap option. Seen some limited success with it.

AHHH The 5D. Some days I really miss that 1.6x crop :/ but then again, I love the Full Frame =) For Storm Chasing, Full Frame is where it's at!

First Light Optics will do oversea deliveries i believe, but this may add to you costs.

I haven't had any barndoor experience personally but there are a few people on here who have built their own and produced beautiful images with them.

Archived