NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Help buying a telescope for my 7yr old son

My parents would like to buy my 7yr old son a telescope for Christmas. They have a budget of £50 (max £70).

I appreciate it is not a massive amount but I'd really like some advice on the best option at this price as I would like to ensure he will get some use out of it and hopefully build up his interest & eventually upgrade when he gets older. Friends have told me of their experiences having bought their children useless telescopes and I'd really like to avoid this.

Any suggestions would be great?

Many thanks

Clare

Before a search for scopes could you set the location from British Isles to a town, even just a county?

You may be within reach of one of the retailers that are spread around and that could make things a lot easier.

There is one placwe that does the budget end but not great for internet ordering, if within driving distance it could be worth a visit.

£55 and £70: Sherwoods.

The first 2 refractors, seem to fit the requirements, the 70mm being bigger would enable things to be a bit brighter.

He will eventually want more magnification but the budget plossl's should be OK, cannot see any on Sherwoods. Don't bother to go smaller then say a 7mm that will give 100x as both scopes are the same focal length, 700mm. Actually a 32mm may be useful to get wide views for things like Pleiades and Orion nebula. If he wants to see Andromeda then use binoculars, it is a fuzzy patch.

You will have to fix align the finder for him, you will need to so that he can find anything, it will need doing as it will be useful.

Your other option within the price range would be the Skywatcher 76mm Heritage Dob, but I think ronins suggestions are more practical because of the inclusion of a tripod. With the mini Dob, you would need to perch the scope on a table which might be a bit of a nuisance. I'd steer clear of toyshop scopes. Good luck - let us know how the little chap gets on!

Hello Clare

I think it's vital it "looks like a telescope". It the boy had been a bit older, and with a little bigger budget I'd have recommended a heritage dob any day of the week. In this case though a refractor will likely keep him from losing interest at the mere sight of it.

The closest I can come is the Sky-Watcher Mercury 607. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Skywatcher-Mercury-607/dp/B00186GK9U

I cannot tell you how good it is comparaby, but it's a well known manufacturer and it's within price range. It should do the trick.

The Celestron Travel Scope 70 would be a good choice:

http://www.amazon.co...c_df_B001TI9Y2M

Comes with it's own backpack and mount too for ~£50, sometimes you can get it cheaper if you shop around.

my first thought was this scope but maybe the short focal length might be more demanding on eye pieces.

just a thought.

Scott

my first thought was this scope but maybe the short focal length might be more demanding on eye pieces.

just a thought.

Scott

There is that, and there would be noticeable Chromatic Abberation (usually blue or orange around bright objects) on the Planets and especially the Moon, but I don't know if that would put your son off or not.

I disagree with everyone. I would definitely recommend a sky map and a few books instead so he learns his way around the sky first.

Unless he can easily identify the constellations and find his way he will quickly be fed up from always looking at the Moon.

Apart from the fact that most toy telescopes are junk.

Not meant to offend anyone :p

Nebula - a lot depends on the childs reading ability. And as far as using the scope is concerned how tall he is. Maybe he is best off using the something like the Skywatcher Heritage 76mm or the Infinity on a table outside.

I disagree with everyone. I would definitely recommend a sky map and a few books instead so he learns his way around the sky first.

Unless he can easily identify the constellations and find his way he will quickly be fed up from always looking at the Moon.

Apart from the fact that most toy telescopes are junk.

Not meant to offend anyone :p

When a kid wants a telescope, he wants a telescope. Book and star maps should be considered separately.

Guide book written for adult may not be suitable for kids. I remembered when I started astronomy in primary school, my favourite astronomy books were ones packed full of colour, cartoon characters and concise to read. I enjoyed those much more than the black and white ones. When I read them now, I think those book lacked details, contain some errors and written by an author with a bias towards refractors. I think they are poor choice for adult beginners. Unfortunately I can't recommend them because they were written in traditional Chinese.

Having said all that, I am not saying don't get books. In fact you should. My first 'telescope' was a toy from Toys'r'us. Singlet refractor with internal aperture stop and made mostly of low quality plastic, it was an abomination. If it weren't for those books, I wouldn't have lasted until I finally got a real telescopes several years later and I probably won't be writing this posts here today.

btw, the Heritage 76 from Scope n Skies comes with a free planisphere and guide book, while the Infinity 76 comes with Sir Patrick Moore's Guide To The Night Sky.

http://www.scopesnsk...tage-76std.html

http://www.scopesnsk...rter-scope.html

Wow - thank you all so much for your advice - it has been a fantastic help I can assure you. Funnily enough I had the Skywatcher Heritage 76 on order but the company sent me the wrong one _ they sent me the Skywatcher infinity!!! Anyhow I sent that back as I think he would like it to resemble a telescope of some kind (!) I'll take a look at the Skywatcher Mercury 607 & 707 online before I make a final decision. Thanks once again to you all & fingers x'ed my little man will be happy with the end result. PS we live on the isle of man x

You dont need to buy books on spectroscopy for beginners or the derotation of planetary imaging videos!

There are plenty of fantastic books aimed at kids of that age

agree ,there are some very simple books about that are designed with children in mind. or a simple planisphere maybe. id get the heritage if it were my choice.

Archived