Is it worth the trouble??

nephilim

Hi, I've been reading an article about modding a webcam for AP one was 4 a lifecam & the other a HP HD-4110, my scope is a Skywatcher 130m EQ2 & was wondering if the photos i would achieve would be worth the effort and expense involved. All opinions welcome. Thanks.

I've no real experience in this area but if its your first go at modding a webcam for AP then I would recommend something a bit simpler/cheaper to start with like the xbox cam, some folks on here have had some really good results with it. If its not your first attempt at nodding then there some other webcam like the HD lifecam which I believe is pretty good. Hope that helps.

sent from Gherkin Muncher mk .III (commonly known as a Galaxy S2)

Since the question came up about 1:00 AM in the morning I doubt that many will have read it yet.

If the mod isn't difficult then why not?

I would check first that the various webcams can be controlled by the software you intend using to set up the parameters.

I suspect that this is why some webcams are more useful then others.

If I recall the life cam is the round one that looks as if it was built to drop into an eyepiece holder.

Considering the lack of Philips SPC's it could be useful to know of alternative webcams and how usable they are.

Since the question came up about 1:00 AM in the morning I doubt that many will have read it yet.

If the mod isn't difficult then why not?

I would check first that the various webcams can be controlled by the software you intend using to set up the parameters.

I suspect that this is why some webcams are more useful then others.

If I recall the life cam is the round one that looks as if it was built to drop into an eyepiece holder.

Considering the lack of Philips SPC's it could be useful to know of alternative webcams and how usable they are.

Yes I thought it was a bit late to post, I'd been out under a clear sky till midnight :smiley: I'll do a bit of reading re the software. Thanks!

It's always worth the trouble!

I have a 130 scope and lifecam. This is what I have managed:

These are my only attest at imaging so far. Each one took about 10 minutes to produce using sharpcap and registax.

Give it a go!

It's always worth the trouble!

I have a 130 scope and lifecam. This is what I have managed:

http://stargazerslou...trophotography/

http://stargazerslou...-jupiter-71012/

These are my only attest at imaging so far. Each one took about 10 minutes to produce using sharpcap and registax.

Give it a go!

I like those mate :laugh: & they're much clearer than I thought you'd get with our size scope, cant wait to get the cam!! I was going to go 4 the Lifecam, but as I wasnt sure of the results I ordered the x-box one for a fiver, If it works anywhere near as well as ur's i'll be up-grading to the Lifecam. :smiley:

"is it worth the trouble?" there have been plenty of times i have wondered that over the last 3-4 years during my imaging journing. i would say a very big YES! to anything you are going to try.

"Nothing in the world is worth having or worth doing unless it means effort, pain, difficulty... I have never in my life envied a human being who led an easy life. I have envied a great many people who led diffcult lives and led them well." - -- Theodore Roosevelt

"effort, pain, difficulty" lots of expeience of all three of these during my imaging so far :grin:

the lifecam can be more expensive option ie lifecam £40 adapter

im using the spc900 which are a bit harder to get hold of but e few come up on astro buy so keep looking and there are some good results coming from the xbox which im sure you will be able tpo get hold of easier take a look on the planetary imaging thread and see what peeps are using the life cam option will cost about £70 pound ish

"is it worth the trouble?" there have been plenty of times i have wondered that over the last 3-4 years during my imaging journing. i would say a very big YES! to anything you are going to try.

"Nothing in the world is worth having or worth doing unless it means effort, pain, difficulty... I have never in my life envied a human being who led an easy life. I have envied a great many people who led diffcult lives and led them well." - -- Theodore Roosevelt

"effort, pain, difficulty" lots of expeience of all three of these during my imaging so far grin.gif

I'm more than prepared to put the hours in, I was just unsure as to wether I'd even pick up an image of say, Jupiter with a webcam because of the small apeture of the scope, but now I'v looked into it a bit more then I'm more than excited & cant wait for the X-box cam 2 arrive nxt week. :laugh:

The lifecam was only £10. It can't be that much different from the Xbox camera. I bet you will get similar or better results in no time.

Ah, the cheapest i could find the lifecam 3000 was £20, cheap really i know but having just bought my first scope & countless other bits n bobs, i went with the x-cam first 2 make sure it'd be worth up-grading later. Thanks tho. :smiley:

Archived