Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

My first Jupiter 7/10/12

MarkMayf

Hi all,

My first attempts at planetary imaging.

I'm still lost with the final processing, twiddling randomly untl it looks OK.

Here are a few of the better ones:

580809_10151211629408970_2127110838_n.jpg

408737_10151211628168970_111357293_n.jpg

552374_10151211626603970_1020769572_n.jpg

Taken using Heritage 130p, Microsoft Lifecam, processed in Registax 5.

Hey,

couple questions, I was out last night, with my lifecam on my ED100 (after doing a run on M31 with my DSLR) and got my first decent result of Jupiter. However, I got no colour. So far as i'm aware the video was taken in colour and was wondering, is your lifecam modified (stock IR filter removed)? If yes, do you have another IR filter in place, or was this taken with no IR filter at all??

I'm running with stock filter removed, then a RevelationAstro IR cut filter attached to the adaptor carrying the lifecam. I've also turned off the 'true colour' option on the lifecam controls after someone on here suggested that might be causing the planetary images to be 'blown out', hence this being my first image with any kind of surface definition, previously I could get nice defined outlines but pure white inside and with no way of controlling the 'gain' was running out of options.

300 'ish' frames stacked in Regi 5

post-23906-0-63851700-1349624179_thumb.j

I took off the IR filter and I'm not using anything in it's place. Maybe that's why everything is so red?

Not sure what you mean by 'true colour' option. I am using SharpCap software to capture the images. That has exposure and gain controls on it. And some other stuff I don't know how to use!

How do you get the moons to stand out so well?

Ok,

Interesting, maybe you got a different model lifecam (mine's a lifecam cinema HD). I also use sharpcap, but even with that, the gain control is not available. With regards to the 'true colour' option, that is in my lifecam software, but once I turned it off it has obviously made some difference to the way Sharpcap handles it, as last night I got some decent definition.

As for the moons, I didnt 'do' anything special, they were there in the recording and came up nice after running through registax. Maybe resolution?? I was running video in full HD mode. Was wondering if i'd turned on a 'monochrome' option, but cant see one. What I have just found is the 'truecolour' option is also in the sharpcap software, under Options>video capture filter>video settings.

ATB

Rick

Silly question, was your "color saturation' slider adjusted too far left? You'll lose all color if it is.

Also, I wouldn't worry about the red color. You can always process the extra color out.

Silly question, was your "color saturation' slider adjusted too far left? You'll lose all color if it is.

Also, I wouldn't worry about the red color. You can always process the extra color out.

Wont deny that it possibly was, I'd tried so many different 'things' before someone mentioned the 'truecolour' option that the sliders are probably all over the place!! will need to go over all my settings again, now I've achieved some definition.

Cheers

Archived