Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Observation logging software

michaelmorris

Hi all

I'm after some observation logging software (Windows) that will allow me to record details of observations of double stars and tie in each report to images/ scanned in sketches taken of the target at each session. I would like to be able to search by object and bring up all the observing reports and associated picture/pictures for that object.

Oh, and to complete my impossible specification, freeware would be nice!

Hi Michael

I'm not familiar with any particular program that will do what you require but it sounds like it would be pretty easy to achieve your aims using a spreadsheet or a simple database - I would start by listing the exact information you need to record and what 'type' of information that is (e.g. free text, numerical etc). You could then decide whether you want to store your images 'within' the data (i.e as part of the database) or whether you would simply reference them from within your database (for example by storing their filepath only).

Once you've done that you need to decide exactly how you want to access the data -whether you want to view it in list form, by individual record only, how and on which fields you want to search etc.

I've written several (non-astronomical) programs that do essentially the same thing but you could achieve the same results using, for example, an OpenOffice database or spreadsheet (no cost involved, just your time!).

The advantage of the foregoing is that you get exactly what *YOU* want rather than what a programmer thinks you should have :lol:

If you need help with any of the above just shout!

Thanks guys. I was already aware of these pieces of software and neither really does exactly what I want.

I already have the excellent Astroplanner (http://www.ilangainc.com/astroplanner), but it's observation logging is not (yet) as powerful as it's excellent planning functions. I gather from the author (Paul Rodman) that version 2 will be hopefully coming out early next year and that this will address many of my concerns. The other two piece of software that have caught my eye are the excellent Deepsky 3 (http://www.deepsky2000.com/index.htm) and Skytools 2 (http://www.skyhound.com/skytools.html). They both have superb chart production functions but are $53 and $99 respectively.

I think I'll wait until I've had a chance to try the new version of Astroplanner before I make a decision.

Does the open office stuff create databases? not very offay with the item myself but it looks interesting.

Certainly does! The original implementation (in OO 1.x) was abysmal but in the current version it is very good and has easy to use wizards to build and visually link your 'tables' (the individual components of your database) as well as create queries, views, reports etc

Hi Michael

As others have said, a database would be perfect for your needs. I haven't used the OpenOffice database app, but I hear it is good. It'll just take a bit of setting up from you, rather than a specific application that "just does it", but the advantage would be that you can add features and tweak things to your heart's content. You could even find that there would be a market for distributing your database structure for others to use as well.

Failing that, I could probably write an application to do it - I'm on a bit of a roll with astro apps at the moment, but that would take a while, so you'd be better off going with one that's already available!

HTH

Trev

Archived