NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Attachign QHY5 to ST80

kirkster501

Hello guys,

How would one connect a QHY5 camera to the ST80 please? Also, is a 1.25 extender required to achieve focus in the absence of using a diagonal on the ST80?

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/startravel/skywatcher-startravel-80-ota.html

I'd much prefer a "screw in" solution if it were possible. I am not happy with the systems with two screws and no compression ring so i woudl rather avoid that if possible, even if it cost a few quid more....

Thanks and Regards, Steve

Unscrewing the lens from a 1.25" Barlow works as an interim measure, screw that to the ST80 and use the supplied nosepiece in the eyepiece end of the Barlow. Doesn't meet your all screw-fit requirement, but better than the hopeless thumbscrews on the stock ST80 focuser if you are stuck for an appropriate extension tube.

Sorry I'm a bit late to this topic...you can directly connect a QHY5 to an ST80....remove the nose from the QHY and you will have a T thread....there is a T thread on the end of the ST80 focuser, att you need is an extender (50 - 70 mm) to fit between.

P4080255.jpg

I have an adjustable spacer in mine - only because I had one kicking about.

I needed 2 dead barlows araldited together for the Lodestar. I don't feel there's any great danger of flexure with push fit myself and have never found any, but clearly screw fit is better. (I won't have compression rings at any price anywhere, though. They're an accident waiting to happen, not compatible between makes and prone to half-snagging as you take out an EP or camera.)

The ST80 has two other possible flexure points; the focuser drawtube itself (so screw the lockscrew down hard and leave it since good focus isn't desirable for guiding anyway.)

The other thing to check is that the focuser assembly's three radial screws through the main tube at the back are tight. They can be a little slack sometimes.

Good guiding setup. Have fun.

Olly

I would like an extension that screws onto the focuser, not pushed on and held using those stupid two screws. Is there an extender that can screw onto the 2" focuser do you know guys? So that would be a compete screw in solution right? QHY5 screws onto extender that screws onto focuser...

• 2 weeks later...

Just for completeness for anyone googling this subject...

I got this working great. I bought a 40mm T2 extension. I unscrewed the nosepiece off the QHY5 and screwed it directly into this extension. The extension then screws directly onto the threads of the ST80 stock focuser. i.e. focuser<>extension<>QHY5. A total screw in solution - which I like. The QHY5 just reaches focus with the focuser completely out. Ideally another 10mm or so would be nice to give a little "play" but it is not essential and my guiding worked fine with the above.

Rgds, Steve

Archived