NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

What can you see?

Ultrapenguin

Looks a little like it in your photo, however I took a slightly more detailed image 2 nights ago and can't see it.

I do remember when we lost the SEB, the GRS was floating around all naked. So large surface changes can happen, and relatively quickly too.

I'd say there's a slightly darker belt around the equator even in your images, bus_ter. Looks like it's there in mine, too. It's not as obvious as above. It would definitely be worth having a good look at some of the C9.25 images taken with dedicated cameras to see what they're like.

James

I've seen it in a couple of live broadcasts from the States over the past week too on http://www.nightskiesnetwork.com/. 1 broadcaster, Waseem in Texas (Heart of Texas channel) was showing it very well through a C8 with a NexImage5 camera. I got a couple of AVIs to stack and they turned out quite well. I will ask his permission to post them here since i doubt my scope and webcam can pick it up very well.

Baz.

I had an almost perfect night observing the GRS transit last night, with some of the best seeing I have experienced this year.

I too noticed the central band, quite pronounced with added contrast of a binoviewer in my 8 inch LX200. In addition the GRS seemed to be dragging a rather dark band behind it, almost as if the storm had picked up some debris. The views were momentarily sharp at 450x+ (15mm EP, Tal barlow element at end of bino), put most images of Jupiter to shame tbh.

Have to love Jupiter, keeps on surprising, I love the fact that it is so dynamic.

Its ressuring to know others can see it too, I also think I can see it in Busters images but as has been said not as prominant. I have been picking it up for a week in various images but am convinced now that we are seeing the start of a new feature, which I think is pretty cool :laugh:

Here's another shot from my 150 taken about 3 days ago, I believe I have also captured here the dark band mentioned by Eigen being dragged by the GRS along with a number of storms.

Capture%2011_14_2012%209_26_02b%20PM.jpg

Archived