SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Monopod and pistol grip head recommendations

johnnyp

Hi All

Starting to get the bug again after a year of competitive bodybuilding, and im looking at gettin a quality pair of 15x70 Binos. (the helios apollo if i can find any available that is)

I like the idea of using a monopod and pistol grip head rather than my horizon tripod, so any suggestions on which makes/models to go for would be appreciated.

Cheers

J

Have a look at the Manfrotto 682B, you can use it as a monopod or you can unscrew the internal legs and have it with a tripod base for additional stability (works)

I originally bought it for normal photography years ago since I find tripods a pain. It has a standard 1/4" screw on top so you can add whatever tripod head you like

http://www.manfrotto.co.uk/self-standing-monopod-black (you can find it cheaper online)

If you're a Pro Bodybuilder, you should be able to hold the Apollos with on hand....harhar.

Seriously, I had the Horizon 8115 with 20x80 and 25x100 and while it's pretty solid it's not ideal and i wouldn't be in a hurry to get another.

I had been looking for a pair of Apollo 15x70 and a monopod/trigger grip,I think it's a great idea. I picked up a pair of Pentax 20x60s instead.

If I could choose, I'd have a 20x100 Right-Angled BA8, with interchangeable EPs [massive prisms and full 100mm CA ]...on a portable GOTO mount.

Yet to be made commercially but you never know.

It wouldn't be cheap either.

I bought this set up from John

it was about as good as it gets in terms of binocular observing I think but in reality I don't get on with bins for astronomy.

Eventually I sold the set up and bought a 90mm f5.5 frac and put this on a giro mount and pedestal. again very nice but I missed the aperture and power of a larger newt. I then decided to observe with nothing less than 6" aperture so have three newts.

although a little less convenient than just reaching for the bins, my neck and back (and eyes) thank me every time I observe.

If you're a Pro Bodybuilder, you should be able to hold the Apollos with on hand....harhar.

Seriously, I had the Horizon 8115 with 20x80 and 25x100 and while it's pretty solid it's not ideal and i wouldn't be in a hurry to get another.

I had been looking for a pair of Apollo 15x70 and a monopod/trigger grip,I think it's a great idea. I picked up a pair of Pentax 20x60s instead.

If I could choose, I'd have a 20x100 Right-Angled BA8, with interchangeable EPs [massive prisms and full 100mm CA ]...on a portable GOTO mount.

Yet to be made commercially but you never know.

It wouldn't be cheap either.

Im only a middleweight lol

Definitely with you regarding the horizon tripod, i find it enough of a faff with little bins as it is and wouldnt fancy mounting a 15x70 on it.

I bought this set up from John http://stargazerslou...ad-action-grip/

it was about as good as it gets in terms of binocular observing I think but in reality I don't get on with bins for astronomy.

Eventually I sold the set up and bought a 90mm f5.5 frac and put this on a giro mount and pedestal. again very nice but I missed the aperture and power of a larger newt. I then decided to observe with nothing less than 6" aperture so have three newts.

although a little less convenient than just reaching for the bins, my neck and back (and eyes) thank me every time I observe.

That set up of johns looks fantastic. exactly what i want :). i personallly much prefer binoculars, so easy and convenient, and using to eyes is much more natural to me.

Now to find a supplier with some apollos in stock

Have a look at the Manfrotto 682B, you can use it as a monopod or you can unscrew the internal legs and have it with a tripod base for additional stability (works)

I originally bought it for normal photography years ago since I find tripods a pain. It has a standard 1/4" screw on top so you can add whatever tripod head you like

http://www.manfrotto...g-monopod-black (you can find it cheaper online)

Cheers for that....looks like the one that johninderby uses in his set up....looks very solid.

• 10 months later...

Archived