Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New Skywatcher f4 Aplanatic Super Coma Corrector

FLO

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

Hi Guys,

Just wondering if anyone has had a chance to try the Skywatcher f4 Aplantic CC out yet?

I am particularly interested to know if anyone has tried it, and experienced any internal reflection artifacts (donuts) that are prevalent when imaging bright stars with a CC in the Optical Train. I have a Skywatcher Quattro 8s which I use with a TS Coma Corrector (Exact Same as the standard Skywatcher model from what I can tell) and I get a Donut reflection which is attributed to the CC i.e. remove the CC and it dissapears.

Perhaps the FPL51 ED Glass in the new Aplantic version, cuts down on stray light?

Cheers,

N

• 3 weeks later...

Forgive my ignorance on the subject but when the description states "requires an additional 55mm of back-focus", does this mean that the focal plane is moved outward by the corrector or inwards?

A while ago, I found a test that suggested the skywatcher corrector works much better than the new Baader corrector on f/4 newtonians. Unfortunately, I can't find the darn webpage anywhere now - I know it was written in German but my Google-Fu is failing me...

• 3 months later...

Thanks- but now I've got the MPCC III in my hand I'll give the Baader MPCC III a whirl first. Should be okay for what I'm trying to do (clouds permitting) I'll do a mini review when I've had a chance for first light.

What were your findings please?

The Baader MPCC Mk-III is more popular than either of the two Skywatcher coma correctors. Optically the Baader is very good and we know the regular Skywatcher coma corrector gives results very close to the Baader but we don't have any feedback regarding the Aplanatic coma corrector.

If you are reading this and own a Skywatcher Aplanatic coma corrector please share your thoughts? :smiley:

Steve

Hi,

I have a Quattro F4 and bought the Skywatcher Coma Corrector just before the Aplanatic was announced. In just over a month I never used the Skywatcher Coma corrector, put it up for sale and bought the Aplanatic from you. I have only used this scope without a coma corrector and with the Aplanatic so I can't make any comparisons between different models, but with the Aplanatic it certainly seems sharp to the edge.

Here is a pic of M81, M82 & NGC3077 from May. This was taken with a Canon and is a full frame (no cropping) and is the only picture I have taken with this scope and corrector.

I am pleased with the Aplanatic corrector, is it better than the ordinary Skywatcher or Baader, very difficult to say, the only way to tell would be a side by side comparison. If you have a Quattro F4 scope then I would tend towards the Skywatcher Aplanatic, it was designed to match that scope. If you have another fast newt then you might want to seriously look at the Baader, its a little cheaper.

11-5-13-M81-M82-Stack19-9.jpg

Robin

Excellent. Thank-you for the feedback :glasses2:

It is good to hear you are pleased with the results using an f4 Newtonian and DSLR. I am sure you are right, the Aplanatic is best suited to f4 whereas the Baader performs best at around f5.

• 7 months later...

Hi

I exhumate this old topic.

I own a F/5 Newtonian (Skywatcher 200/1000). I'm not particulary happy with my Baader MPCC (mk I). Would this Aplanetic Coma Corrector work well on my telescope ? What would be the required backfocus (for F/4 and a focal length of 1000 mm it is said 55 mm, but what's about F/5).

Fred

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks. I compared with the Baader MPCC. With the 4 lens CC, I need to exit the focuser about 9 mm out of the telescope more than with the MPCC. It is mainly due to the thicker light path through the glass (4 lenses vs 2 lenses).

Archived